Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)
  • poached eggs again…..
  • Cougar

They did them in vinegar

You don’t “do them in vinegar”, you add a couple of drops to the water because Chemistry or some such reason I don’t remember. Something to do with the white holding together better, or something.

I don’t know really, I’m not a fan and my missus likes them microwaved so I’m probably not the best person to be talking about this.

bearnecessities
    sharkbait
    Free Member

cling film ftw!

This. I’ve been using this method for about 6 years and it never fails – even Mr Jamie Oliver recommends it for perfect results.

ransos
    Free Member

Clingfilm, ramekins, vinegar, salt, silicon moulds, swirling water etc are all completely unnecessary. Fresh eggs are a must though.If your eggs are less than fresh, try cracking them onto a slotted spoon before putting in the pan – the watery gunge will drain off

1. Bring a deep pan of water to the boil.
    2. Take it off the boil, and crack your egg(s) carefully into the pan.
    3. Turn the heat back on so it simmers, and cook for 2-3 minutes depending on the size of the egg and how runny you like them.
    4. Drain with a slotted spoon and serve.

The reason this works is because taking the water off the boil stops the egg breaking up.

binners

You should just ask Maccy D’s how they do theres. They’re always absolutely perfect when served in the breakfast of champions….

sadexpunk

for those that use the silicone cups, do you have a lid on the pan to get it steamed on top?

GrahamS

I usually wait till they are nearly done then just submerge the cup a little to make sure the top isn’t too runny.

tinybits
    Free Member

I just don’t get all the spinny, vinegar, salt, ling film etc methods.

Take water to boil. Back it off so there’s just a hint of a boild. very carefully crack eggs (at room temp is best) into water. upto 4 in a mid sized sauce pan this way
    Push down on toaster button.
    When the toasts pops, eggs will be cooked, increase heat for a second to get a ‘boil’ which lifts them off the bottom.
    Eat.

sadexpunk

doesnt happen the same way in my pans. boil water, back off heat so no water movement, crack room temperature egg into ladle, gently tip side of ladle into water, “oh b*ll*cks look at that massive white spider taking over the pan, wheres the space for the other eggs now??” :-/

bearnecessities

You will get some leakage – there should be a core poached egg forming though.

I’m wondering if the water is cooling down too much?

For me, bubbles coming off the bottom of a pan in size and slightly less quantitity, as if it was a frying pan filled with lemonade.

How much water are you using? Should only be enough to cover the cracked egg – 1.5″ ish.

Perseverance man; keep trying!

sadexpunk

yep, shallowish water, like i say i knock the heat right off. ive found bubbles for me make the situation worse by spreading out the tentacles even more 😀 i try to have the water as still as possible.

drumon

Boil water in pan. Take the pan off the heat, turn heat to minimum.
    Break eggs into water while pan is off the hot hob. Put the pan back on on minimum heat hob. Put bread in toaster….
    Eggs ready once the toaster pops up !

Fresher eggs work a bit better. The white breaks up less I find.

bearnecessities

It’s basically that balance of bubbles & heat you’re trying to get.

Try heating the pan slowly, so you build up the temperature – more productive way of learning what works.

When it’s letting off a handful of small bubbles, dive in.

(and fresh eggs do make it easier) 🙂

shermer75
    Free Member

Doesn’t using oil or butter to line the cling film or silicone cup partially negate the benefits of poaching over frying? If you are choosing to poach your egg because it’s the lower calorie option, I mean?

binners

In further fried egg news (which are miles better than poached anyway), the Aldi single egg frying pan was christened successfully last night. I’m happy to say that it produces a perfectly round fried egg, in a suitably non-stick way, that could have been designed specifically to fit on one of these..

I’d say thats 2 quids worth of kitchen equipment that is definitely going to get some hammer. They’ve got them in at the moment if you like your fried eggs and you’ve got no mates 😀

Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘poached eggs again…..’ is closed to new replies.