Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Plymouth locals….
  • DrP

Getting the train to Plymouth this sunday, and looking for somewhere nearby to tramp it up (wild camp) before departing for a little tour of the south..

Anyone here able to recommend a nice spot near to the city, to save me from simply putting a pin in an OS map in the hope I won’t get eaten by dragons…

DrP

fionap

Assuming you’re cycling…
    You could head up to Dartmoor – cycle through the city to Plymbridge Woods then head up to Clearbrook, then vaguely in the direction of Burrator reservoir – you should be able to find some quiet sheltered spots around there.
    Or, if you fancy some sea air, you might be able to camp on the beach near-ish Wembury (to the west of the main beach) or Mothecombe, but you will have to be a bit a smart with timing to avoid people (especially at Mothecombe, where there is an old chap who sometimes patrols the beach – technically a private beach with public access a few days a week, but there’s a public road down to it and the coast path runs past). Both beaches have a bit of sand even at high tide, unlike if you head over the Torpoint ferry and go around Rame Head / Whitsand Bay. The A379 into the South Hams is a nasty busy road though, so watch out if you do go that way. You could try and camp along the coast path in either direction but you might struggle to find anywhere secluded and sheltered enough.

You could also get the Cremyll foot ferry from Royal William Yard to Mount Edgcumbe (65p extra for a bike!) and try and find a spot in the country park – it’s lovely but I doubt they look fondly on campers so you’d need to be extra sneaky.

jobro
    Free Member

Are you sticking close to the route 3?

Would have thought Dartmoor would have been your best bet as stated above and there are a few campsites in the south side.

If you are coming up to Exmoor you can camp in my paddock 🙂

DrP

I’ll be following route 2, so will be heading sort of south-east out of the city towards Ivybridge…

Cann wood is nearby – is that any good?

DrP

justinbieber

I’d head out towards Newnham Park and up past Lee Quarry. Not sure about Cann Wood I’m afraid.

neilforrow

Cann woods is essentially here and easily accessible by bike form the city. Ride past B&Q, up the disues rail line to the woods. Take a fire road up to the top on the right heading north just before the first main viaduct, bout here

brassneck

More fodder for the Tripster thread?

fionap

If you can make it a bit further on the Sunday, then camping on the edge of the moor around South Brent would probably be nicer than Cann Woods (didn’t recognise the name but it’s where I was talking about riding from up to Clearbrook and so on).

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Plymouth locals….’ is closed to new replies.