Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Plymouth / Dartmoor Roadie Route Advice
  • Freester

Looks like I am going to in Plymouth over Xmas. I want to take my road bike. Just interested on routes heading out to Dartmoor.

Any ways getting from Town Centre (not far from Jury’s Inn) out to the Moor avoiding the main A road to Tavistock? I sort of know Dartmoor a bit after spending time out there near Mary Tavy and from doing the Dartmoor Classic.

Would it be better to drive out of town a bit?

Any loops recommended?

Thanks in advance.

jam-bo

you could go out via plympton, up col du lee mill (past newnham park) and through to burrator via cadover bridge.

from there princetown is an easy spin up and then back down into tavistock.

or go to tavistock first and do the hard way up to princetown.

over the ferry to whitsands way is nice if you want some coastal views.

edit: not that I’ve been on the road bike much since this years classic nearly killed me.

xc-steve
    Free Member

As I’ve moved house I can share my Connect uploads… this is my favorite road loop – http://connect.garmin.com/activity/356360325

justinbieber

Yeah – as Jam Bo said, I’d head out to Plympton, past Newnham Park and up onto the moors that way. Having said that, I never found the traffic to be terrible on the A386.

Freester

That’s great thanks for all the suggestions. I found quite a few loops on the YOGi website that use the Newnham Rd to / from the moors.

Any suggestions for a quiet(ish) route from the town centre (Barbican) out to Plympton? There’s a few suggestions on Sustrans. Any good?

Freester

XC Steve – great. I found an almost identical route on the YOGi website. Think I’ll have a crack at that one.

jam-bo

the cycle path out through saltram is nice but gravelled from memory.

justinbieber

I’d be inclined to just jump on the main road (A374), over the roundabout and onto the B3416. It’s the most direct route and means you can get out into the countryside sooner

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Plymouth / Dartmoor Roadie Route Advice’ is closed to new replies.