Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Plus tyres on road
  • molgrips
    Free Member

Currently running 2.35 Ralphs at 20psi on rims with something like 27mm ID (ish). They don’t bounce when spinning along the road (although the Butcher/Slaughter combo did).

If I were to fit a 29×3.0 front, I’d run lower pressures of course, but does that mean it’s going to bounce around when spinning on road?

dovebiker

I find plus tyres surprisingly quick on road / hard pack – the contact patch is no wider than a regular tyre, but the lesser tyre deflection means lower rolling resistance. Pedal-bounce is as much to do with a maintaining a smooth cadence and more prevalent on fatbikes in the region of 5psi, never noticed on my 29+ where I run pressures of 10-12psi.

dovebiker

double-post

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

No, not if you have the pressure suitably low for your total you+bike weight, taking account of how much weight is over the front wheel. But too low will risk snakebite punctures if you run tubes.

Wide tyres do have less rolling resistance, but they increase aero drag, which may concern you if you like to travel by road at ~15+mph.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Dunno, but I can mash my SS fatbike at 170rpm on the road (for a short time). Always fun when people admit they ran out of gears and you’re whirring away on a 50″ gear! It’s more resonance than bounce, it goes away at higher/lower speeds or pressures so if in doubt tweek them a bit (or ride faster).

I wouldn’t worry too much, and if I was worried I’d not get a plus bike (or I’d avoid riding on the road).

mccraque

I don’t notice mine massively. They aren’t as efficient as a pair of 29″ rocket rons, but they’re pretty decent.

I’m running a trailblazer rear (which is admittedly pretty light and a tread that works well with roads) and a 3.0 Nobby Nic front and have put down a 50 miler and 60 miler this year…both of which contained a chunk of road. They didn’t feel too bad at all.

molgrips
    Free Member

Considering a future involving a plus front, and wondering if I should keep a normal front to swap in and out. If I did, would I ever use it?

brassneck

You’re not going to notice on the front, unless you run really low presure – 18psi seems fine here.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

I don’t notice mine massively. They aren’t as efficient as a pair of 29″ rocket rons, but they’re pretty decent.

This.

Splash-man
    Free Member

Can’t say I’ve really ever noticed any particular extra drag from my Kenda 4″ tyres on my fat bike over a set of Crossmarks on my HeiHei

dovebiker

Try a pair of Vee Tire Snowshoes 2XLs on road if you want to know about tyre drag – truly hideous. Plus tyre on the front is ideal – extra volume and grip plus the ability to climb your way out of deep ruts.

vincienup
    Free Member

Considering a future involving a plus front, and wondering if I should keep a normal front to swap in and out. If I did, would I ever use it?

More likely to want the regular tyre if muddy slop starts getting too skatey than for road/hardpack IMO…

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Plus tyres on road’ is closed to new replies.