Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • PlumbingTrackWorld – Unvented Cylinders vs Thermal Store – thoughts?
  • Bimbler
    Free Member

Just in the process of having a loft conversion, so it’s time for a new heating system.

After doing a wee bit of internet research it seems like the obvious answer is system boiler + unvented cylinder, first plumber I had around echoed these thoughts.

Second dude who came around started chucking all sorts of new stuff in like thermal stores, underfloor heating etc.

Not really much scope for solar hotwater/PV here so that’s one of the advantages of a thermal store gone.

Anyone gone through a similar process recently, have any conclusions? Knowledge?

lesgrandepotato

We are going thermal store.. Have you considered using one of those smart meter tariffs that are free at weekend to heat it?

russ295
    Free Member

I’m close to finishing a self build.
    Went for system boiler, tank with a solar option (will be added later) under floor heating with rads upstairs.
    All controlled by a honywell evohome system.
    The evohome is pricy but very good.

Bimbler
    Free Member

Have you considered using one of those smart meter tariffs that are free at weekend to heat it?

Thanks. First I’ve heard about this, interesting.

Bear
    Free Member

Thermal stores good for putting in multiple heat sources such as wood burners, boilers, solar, biomass etc. Downside can be create very hot rooms that are near the thermal store and you can have scale issues with them in hard water areas.
    If you’ve one heat source ie boiler and are thinking of adding solar then an unvented cylinder is probably a better option.

Smudger666

forget the free tariff – its a marketing gimmick. its only available on their standard tariff which is 15% more than their best tariff. 9-5 on a weekend day is only 8% of the week.

thermal stores will only work well for a high hot water demand if they are big – 500L+ – have you room for one of those?

also, as usual, what Bear said!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘PlumbingTrackWorld – Unvented Cylinders vs Thermal Store – thoughts?’ is closed to new replies.