Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Plumbingtrackworld: Fernox TF1 (again)
  • munkster
    Free Member

OK, so I posted asking about this before and have singularly failed to get a plumber round (been away etc) and am now wondering if I should do something to stop this TF1 thing leaking. There are two red taps one above and one below, as in the pic below, if I were to turn both of these off am I right in thinking that this will isolate the filter and stop the leaking until such time I can get someone who knows what they’re doing round? The central heating is off at present (and will remain so until October hopefully!) but will doing the above still allow the hot water to work? It’s a combi boiler… Thanks for any intel, as always, as you can see, I need it.

saladdodger
    Free Member

should still work in hot water mode

Give it a go

BTW that TF thing is a crud remover for the central heating

munkster
    Free Member

Cheers, I forgot to ask, would turning them off possibly lead to air getting in the system or owt? Or am I fussing too much?

(ps – I did know what the TF1 thing was for, to be fair, we had new rads put on old pipes so apparently there was plenty of crud to remove 🙂 )

saladdodger
    Free Member

If it was me I would just isolate it then sort out the leak before next winter

chambo82
    Free Member

That’s a very common problem with the TF1 filters , the new sentinel 1 has been designed so that these leaks don’t happen , I know as I work for them !!!! Lol

totalshell

oki doki.. fit these all day long.. turn the two taps off.. obviuosly ch wont work but hot water will..

leaks are a common fault and fernox will replace under warranty no problem ( actually my merchant ( pts) replaces foc no probs..)

where is yours leaking..

munkster
    Free Member

Leaking from under the big top cap (as far as I can tell, dripping from the bottom but top cap is wet at the seal)… Plumber fitted this one so no idea where it was bought from that’s all so unless Fernox (or whoever distributes them) replaces directly I may have trouble doing the job myself…

sicklilpuppy
    Free Member

get in touch with fernox, they should replace under warranty. You’ll need some form of proof of purchase ( invoice from plumber should be ok). as stated above just turn the two red taps 90 deg to stop any flow through your central heating system, to isolate or remove. You could also try putting some leak sealer into your central heating system via the TF-1, could stop the leak but wont do your system any harm.

totalshell

”wont do your system any harm” i have been a big user of leak sealer and have had some amazing results.. HOWEVER.. do not use it if your boiler is still under manufacturers warranty as they will likely not honour it if they discover leak sealer in the system.. WB especially keen..

if out side of warranty..and unable to get replacement from fernox.. turn off the red taps either side.. drain the tf1 via the tap at the base.

remove upper lid remove metal valve at base of tf1 clean replace inc. boss white and ptfe. refit the upper lid, make sure rubber seal is in place and that you ‘lubricate’ it silicone grease .. refill and admire your macho DIY profficency .. or get wet..

totalshell

”wont do your system any harm” i have been a big user of leak sealer and have had some amazing results.. HOWEVER.. do not use it if your boiler is still under manufacturers warranty as they will likely not honour it if they discover leak sealer in the system.. WB especially keen..

if out side of warranty..and unable to get replacement from fernox.. turn off the red taps either side.. drain the tf1 via the tap at the base.

remove upper lid remove metal valve at base of tf1 clean replace inc. boss white and ptfe. refit the upper lid, make sure rubber seal is in place and that you ‘lubricate’ it silicone grease .. refill and admire your macho DIY profficency .. or get wet..

munkster
    Free Member

Nice one thanks. I think I’ll probably wimp out and get a plumber to do it – we have other work that needs doing anyway… Cheers all.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Plumbingtrackworld: Fernox TF1 (again)’ is closed to new replies.