Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Plumbing woes – whose toupée?
  • munkster
    Free Member

OK, so we had a new boiler and rads put in over two years ago and as part of this process we had to have a new gas run put in to the new boiler (it is in new location versus the old one). The existing run was still in use as a branch to the cooker and gas fire. All working fine, although the old run was/is lead pipe and the new connection of copper to lead was apparently a bit of a tricky one to sort.

Skip forward to last Weds and we had our boiler serviced by the same plumber but thereafter thought we could smell gas. Cut a long story short National Grid bloke came out today and diagnosed a leak in the branched off copper/lead connection, capped that off, and has shut off our gas.

Contacted plumber who has basically said “sorry, this was done over two years ago, not my responsibility”. There was definitely no gas smell before the service etc, so either a coincidence or it was due to something that happened then (when testing for leaks as part of the service?)

Any thoughts? I am unsure either way about who is liable for fixing this (and potentially having to put in a completely new gas run to cooker/fire) all I do know is that I am without any gas for a short while until I can get someone out…

Thanks in advance, as always.

nealglover
    Free Member

If the copper/lead junction was good for 2 years before any problems then it must have been disturbed recently ?

Is it possible the plumber did this while testing/servicing etc ?

If so then he is responsible, but you may have trouble proving that if he refuses to accept it

If not, then it’s a coincidence and you will probably be better off getting a recommendation for another plumber to come and sort it out.

munkster
    Free Member

Is it possible the plumber did this while testing/servicing etc ?

This is what I feel is most likely, but as you say if he refuses to accept it then I haven’t got a chance…

totalshell

well.. the service should have incorporated a test for gas leaks and the result will be recorded on the work sheet / certificate that the engineer has to complete following all gas work..

simply testing for gas tightness will not have caused the leak nor will servicing the boiler.

identifying the exact site of the leak will be essential for anyone investigating the issue.

i suggest you contact gas safe who will attend very quickly a complaint of a gas leak following work by a registered engineer.. its a free service. details on the gas safe website.

they will offer a definative report and give you information as to how they are going to move forward etc.

nealglover
    Free Member

i suggest you contact gas safe who will attend very quickly a complaint of a gas leak following work by a registered engineer.. its a free service. details on the gas safe website.
    they will offer a definative report and give you information as to how they are going to move forward etc.

Much better advice than mine 🙂

Feel free to ignore mine and follow up on that 😀

munkster
    Free Member

the service should have incorporated a test for gas leaks

Yep, it did…

the result will be recorded on the work sheet / certificate

Yep, it was…

I think the issue is that this junction/connection is very very close to the side of the meter so in the process of testing for leaks I can only surmise that it was knocked in some way. The original plumber was concerned enough about this connection when he first did it to come back and make sure it was OK but there’s been no issues for 2 years. Until now, hence smelling a rat. Or gas, more accurately.

So, the issue is, as I see it, I believe something has been damaged as a side issue during a routine test. And I can’t prove one way or another that it was due to the plumber’s actions. Whether there is an issue about said connection being shoddy in the first place is another issue I’m not sure about at all.

maxtorque

A) Insure house to hilt
    B) Buy cheap chinese made toaster
    C) Book weekend away in nice hotel
    D) Return to collect nice little pay out

Simples……..

ononeorange

So where’s the toupee? I thought this was going to contain that Donald Trump.

munkster
    Free Member

Sorry to disappoint 😉

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Plumbing woes – whose toupée?’ is closed to new replies.