Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • plumbing Q – leaky pushfit on t piece on hot pipe – help !
  • iainc

I know nothing about plumbing…

Under sink in utility room there is a slightly damp fitting which is dripping a little. It’s grey plastic push fit stuff, ther is a T piece which comes upwards off a horizontal hot pipe up to a vertical which runs up to tap. Push fit methinks as cheapo newish house and it seems to comprise, from the top, grey pipe, which runs into a black end/washer, then down into an inverted bowl shaped alloy/stainless fiting, which joins the T piece and next bit of pipe. water is welling slightly at the base of teh grey vertical pipe where it goes into teh black ring thing and metal bit. I gave it a wiggle and it stopped – leave alone and keep eye on or is there a way of tightening – I guess either push it all together to compress, or pull pipe back to tighen end against something inside ?

sorry for bad description !!

allthepies
    Free Member

😆

iainc

so it that push it together or pull it then !

spooky_b329

Push together. It could be a damaged fitting, or the plumber didn’t add the internal sleeve that stiffens the bike tube. I think the grey stuff is one use, i.e. you can’t easily pull the pipe off the fitting to check it, and then refit.

The white stuff you can hold the pipe into the fitting, hold the collar in and then pull the pipe out. Before you start messing you should check how to turn off the water though 🙂

iainc

spooky – thanks will give that a go

cheers

Junkyard
    Free Member

not really a rant but fairly incpmprehensible
    As they said find your stop cock then push the fitting in hard to engage see if stops
    Duck tape was originally aupposed to seal pipes -turn off water, dry tape and see if it works – not a permanent fix obviously

iainc

junkyard – I know, even I could hardly picture it after trying to describe 😳

will try the pushing together thing with water off. many thanks

spooky_b329

I can’t really remember but the grey stuff may have a knurled collar that is tightened up after assembly. If the water is off and you can’t push the pipe in, try loosening the collar and then pushing together.

TheBrick
    Free Member

I think you are correct spooky.

sam_underhill

IIRC you can unscrew the collar and disassemble snip grip ring then replace with a new fitting. Turn off the water first though!

iainc

ok, pushed it in and seems dry – will keep an eye on it and if it leaks again I’ll get a new fitting. Cheers all

totalshell

if you get a new fitting get the white stuff with an outer ring so that you can assemble and disassemble quickly and easily. if the pipe is also plastic make sure that it has the plastic or steel liner in place before re fitting the fitting. or try backing off the water pressure at the stop tap that can often be the esiest /cheapest solution.. worked today on an £800 bathroom tap.

http://pre65trials.blogspot.com/

we few , we happy few

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘plumbing Q – leaky pushfit on t piece on hot pipe – help !’ is closed to new replies.