• This topic has 23 replies, 18 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by blitz.
Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Plumbers or anyone in the know about toilets?!
  • santacruzsi
    Free Member

I’m about as technically minded as a twix ( current fave ).

When I flush the loo , it takes a rather long time for the tank to fill back up before you can flush again. No good for the awkward “double flushers” .

Anyone know the reason why it’s taking so long to fill back up? And how it may be fixed?

Edit – the flush is a button on the top of the cistern .

Danke.

cloudnine
    Free Member

You could be in the shit here..

Squirrel

You may have a high pressure valve on a low pressure feed 8)

Frankenstein
    Free Member

You might be able to change the flow rate.

I did, but it was the simple ball float valve with the nozzle that could be swapped.

Which type of system is it?

nealglover
    Free Member

Inside the supply pipe, just above the point where it attaches to the household pipes irk, there will be a little spiral that’s designed to slow down the feed to the cistern. Take that out and it should be fine.

If there isn’t one, then I’ve no idea.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

You may have a high pressure valve on a low pressure feed

I recon we have the wrong way arround in our downstairs loo. Literally seconds after flushing it’s good to go again.

Great for when you have a hunch that it’s going to be a floater.

Smudger666

It really depends on where the water refilling the cistern is coming from…..

If your toilet is connected to the cold mains – check by turning off the water at the stopcock and flushing – if it doesn’t refill then it is mains fed, then it could be the high pressure valve on a low pressure supply.

If it is tank fed, I.e. It does refill when the mains is off, then again you could have the wrong valve – high pressure when it should be low pressure.

Screw fix will hav low pressure valves to swap, or you might have one that has a high pressure ‘insert’ that can be removed. You’d need to google the valve make to find out.

Rich
    Free Member

Ours was recently doing this and it was a split washer in the inlet valve. Apparently a common problem with Siamp valves.

Bear
    Free Member

Most likely a part 2 ball valve washer that is been misshapen into the shut position. Simple fix if you are half competent.

joshvegas
    Free Member

You need to replace the high pressure valve with alow pressure valve new bike

santacruzsi
    Free Member

Thanks,for the replies. No idea where the water feed comes from etc. I’ll take the top off it and explore.

Bear
    Free Member

Take a picture of the ball valve inside and mail it to me timATj-wren.eclipse.co.uk or post it on here and I can advise what it is likely to be, other wise people on here may help too…..

gears_suck
    Free Member

FFS call a plumber.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Where the hell is the fun in that?

Hit it with a hammer if it breaks it needs replaced.

Try removing a couple of kilos of finest columbian from the cistern?

gears_suck
    Free Member

Hit it with a hammer if it breaks it needs replaced.

Try removing a couple of kilos of finest columbian from the cistern?
    Definitely the most useful of comments so far.

richmars

Just take a bucket of water in with you for the second flush.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Run the hosepipe upstairs and fill it from that?

TrekEX8
    Free Member

Wee in the cistern, great for flushing the serious business away. And free.

zilog6128

I had the slow filling thing; just replaced the whole inlet doodad inside the cistern with a new one from screwfix. Only cost a few quid and despite being a plumbing simpleton there are so many helpful vids on YouTube it was easy.

FuzzyWuzzy

Worth checking if you have an isolation valve on the cistern feed and if it’s fully open

Rich
    Free Member

Link

This is easy to check and only £2 to replace if split.

santacruzsi
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies so far. Once i’m able to get the lid off (currently on crutches, dont fancy a one legged balance with a cistern lid!) i’ll look inside and inspect and report back.

notsospeedydaz
    Free Member

Do you have hard water? Could be limescale blocking the inlet valve

blitz

We live in a hard water area and had this. Also had the old ballcock type mechanism. Just replaced the lot with a fluidmaster from b&q for about £14 I think. Just watched a few you tube vids and was, to my surprise, very easy to replace. Refills like a dream now.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Plumbers or anyone in the know about toilets?!’ is closed to new replies.