Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Plumbers – dead boring towel rail question
  • rascal
    Free Member

A plumber is doing a bit of work creating a utility room out of our downstairs bathroom (keeping the throne and sink).

We are changing an old rad for a towel rail – he can supply a 1200×600 – not sure what the BTU rating is.
    I can get one for half the price which he’ll fit (he’s still making plenty) at 1150×500.

Does the BTU rating actually matter that much as the rads are virtually the same size as he’s already calculated that his is fit for purpose?

The ‘tubes’ are 22mm thick – I’m sure it means the diameter of the rad tubes and not the pipework supplying it (which are the usual 15mm) – or am I being a thickie? 😯

Cheers

rascal
    Free Member

Told you it was boring.
    Beer kicking in now 😆

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

The BTU’s do matter to a point but towel rails don’t radiate much heat out so as long as it’s a similar size it should be alright.

The 22mm part is the tubes on the towel rail not the pipework so fear not.

I’ve used a lot of these on my fits, very good quality for the money with decent metal brackets

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Chrome-Heated-Towel-Rail-Radiator-Warmer-for-Bathroom-New-Designer-Deals-x-All-/150944424060?pt=UK_Home_Garden_Bathroom_Towel_Rails_PP&var=&hash=item2324fd207c

darrimc30
    Free Member

There wont be much difference in the BTU between the two towel rails but the difference to the old radiator is what matters. Towel rails dont give off a great amount of heat compared to a radiator with a greater surface area.

gears_suck
    Free Member

Radiators are designed to radiate heat. Towels rails are designed to hang towels on.
    In answer to your question between the two towel rails though. It’s not as straight forward as you think.
    Perhaps his towel rail is twice as much because it’s better quality. Standard chrome towel rails have a lower output than a stainless towel rail by a significant amount. I’m not saying that this is the difference in your case, but I wouldn’t jump to any conclusions if I were you. Cheap usually means “cheap.”

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Plumbers – dead boring towel rail question’ is closed to new replies.