Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)
  • Plumber asking for more money upfront ??
  • Drac

Would you go into tesco and only expect to pay in 30 days?

Would pay Tesco a disposit then pay them to order stocks in before you receive it.

Superficial
    Free Member

When I had a boiler installed recently, I paid the merchant for the boiler up front. Then the plumber picked it up, and installed it, then sent me an invoice for the labour. No issues.

I’m sure if you went to a bigger company with more cash (and insurance against non payers or ways to retrieve cash in that circumstance) then you can pay it all on completion. But I suspect your guy is cheaper at least in part because he doesn’t have that facility.

Cam you pay on credit card? That way you have some recourse.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Having dealt with lots of tradespeople over the years, the only ones who have insisted on big sums up front, then pestered for interim payments, have been wastes of space. YMMV and all that, but this has been my experience.

There’s nowt wrong with asking, or indeed, getting interim payments during a long job, as long as the work invoiced has been completed.
    There’s one hell of a lot of trust involved, for both sides, when you get tradesmen into your home. Expecting someone to stump up for materials and then work unpaid for two or three weeks, or months, is unrealistic, but a few days really isn’t.

coconut
    Free Member

Simple. Phone the plumbing merchant and pay for all materials to be delivered to your house. You pay him the rest of the bill on completion.

fluxhutchinson
    Free Member

Would pay Tesco a disposit then pay them to order stocks in before you receive it.

Isn’t that what happens in online shopping?

nixie

Isn’t that what happens in online shopping

No. Decent sites charge at point of dispatch (they may well authorise at point of order but the money isn’t taken to dispatch). Online food shopping is charged when the order is picked as the actual value can vary with substitutions.

mitsumonkey
    Free Member

Simple. Phone the plumbing merchant and pay for all materials to be delivered to your house. You pay him the rest of the bill on completion.

Is a great idea, before you do though ask him for a breakdown of the estimate then source the materials cheaper. He will probably be marking them up anyway.
    Edit, I know this because I recently saved over £1,400 off 2 quotes by buying the materials myself and paying just the labour on a central heating install.

Inbred456
    Free Member

The best tradesman I’ve ever had replaced all the windows in the house built a porch fitted patio doors and did the gutters and fascia. Didn’t ask for a penny up front and would only accept payment a month after to ensure we were happy with his work. He was a one man business. Needless to say he wasn’t the cheapest 12k was the bill. He didn’t advertise and only did work by recommendation. He was booked up 4 months in advance.

bruk

I’d be wary. I got stung by a plumber/gas fitter taking payment up front. Had already done some work putting a new boiler in for us which had been smooth then when fitting new shower room asked for a deposit then started work and left us 1/2 finished.

Got a couple of estimates for what he had already done and then chased him for the rest. Stopped him in the bookies, chased and blocked his van in on a Saturday night out with his girlfriend and went round his house. Got most of it back but was a right royal pain in the backside.

Offer to buy the materials then at least they are yours no matter what else happens.

nealglover
    Free Member

No. Decent sites charge at point of dispatch (they may well authorise at point of order but the money isn’t taken to dispatch). Online food shopping is charged when the order is picked as the actual value can vary with substitutions.

Ocado and Morrisons don’t charge until after your delivery has arrived, and the driver arrives back at the depot and confirms delivery, then the payments are processed.
    Sometimes payments arent taken until the following day if the driver is on a late shift.

(Not that any of this is relevant to paying tradespeople of course 😆 )

Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘Plumber asking for more money upfront ??’ is closed to new replies.