Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Plex Servers
  • Xylene
    Free Member

Tell me about Plex servers.

Just got new internet installed, Netflix isn’t working, can’t access router due to proprietory firmware on there, so cannot limit Netflix access on my firestick, we have Amazon Prime, but that does have its limitations.

Read about Plex the other day, sounds like it will be an answer to some of our tv and music issues.

What do I need to build one?

DezB
    Free Member

Plex is brilliant!
    I used to have it on my laptop – movie files stored in a Media folder, Plex server installed and fired up from Chrome.
    Plays any file format and Chromecast compatible, unlike so many other movie players.
    I now have it installed on my Qnap NAS, running the app on my iPad and it casts anything to the TV. All for £3.99 for the iPad app.
    Marvellous.

cranberry
    Free Member

You need the plex server software and something to install it on – A NAS ?

Install the server, point it at a whole load of media, and then install a client on your device of choice and access it. It can also function as a DNLA server if you already have clients for one of them.

For remote access it can use uPNP to open the required port on your router. In my case my NAS uses DDNS so that a domain name is assigned to my router and I can access Plex anywhere by going to

cranberryserver.mydnsco.com:32400

All in it was *very* easy to set up with a Qnap NAS.

Xylene
    Free Member

Can I build a server from a standard pc parts, HDD etc and run it off there?

cranberry
    Free Member

Of course. Windows, Mac, Linux, Free BSD – build a server, and install Plex.

https://plex.tv/downloads

DezB
    Free Member

Can I build a server from a standard pc parts, HDD etc and run it off there?

Yes. That’s why I said I used to run it off my laptop… 😕

scotia
    Free Member

i use plex alot, its good, but i cant play several files anymore.. whereas i can on the mac..

i have it on my synology nas..

Cougar

You do, of course, need the media in the first place. Primarily it streams from a local source (PC / NAS etc), so it’s great if you’ve got a load of illegally downloaded ethically sourced video files but it won’t magically give you access to loads of content you don’t currently have.

One thing Plex can do though is connect up to friends’ servers who are also running it. Performance can vary though, and you’re beholden to said friends not switching it off halfway through watching something.

cranberry
    Free Member

Scotia, I’ve not had that problem – it might be worth removing/re-adding the file, or if that doesn’t work, run the file through Handbrake to transcode it to a supported format.

superfli
    Free Member

Plex is excellent. I share my libraries with about 15 friends and have had multiple people connected at the same time to my server, all streaming stuff. I also watch from one of their servers. Have also watched stuff whilst away on holiday.

Its on my PC – Windows 10 about 3 years old. PC is always left on. 100MB broadband

mrjmt
    Free Member

I built a plex server using the AMD AM1 platform.

This MOBO with I think an Athlon 5350.

Works well, I’ve read that it may not be up to transcoding multiple full HD streams but we only ever watch on one device at a time and it copes fine.

johndoh
    Free Member

And the Plex app is available on the Playstation store so you can install and log in via a Playstation and watch all your stuff on your TV via the PS3/4

Sandwich

Some of the NAS units don’t support transcoding natively there is a support page that lists the ones that do here

Xylene
    Free Member

Do I need premium to share it internally in the house?

cranberry
    Free Member

No, nor to share it externally.

scotia
    Free Member

cranberry – thanks i’ll give that a shot, though handbrake and me never really get along – i never follow what its doing.. all i get out is rubbish normally..

its on my ds 713+

cranberry
    Free Member

if you look at the compatibility list posted above..

https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/201373803-NAS-Compatibility-List

Synology DS713+ x86 Yes Yes Yes No* No *May transcode some low bitrate 720p media

The two No’s might also be the issue – it can’t transcode 1080 stuff on the fly and some 720 will be an issue, though everything in SD shouldn’t be a problem.

scotia
    Free Member

cranberry, quick Q: does your synology nas suddenly and quite frequently stop running plex? i have to continuously start the app in the dsm page?

cranberry
    Free Member

I don’t have a Synology – I have a pair of QNAP NASes. The app is stable on them.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Plex Servers’ is closed to new replies.