Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • please talk me out of considering an XX1 gripshift
  • wolfenstein
    Free Member

…changing drivetrain to XX1 (or XO1)soon… never tried a gripshift, is it better(ish) for 1×11 setup? or is it like a marmite?

cheers

tomhoward

It’s like marmite.

So it’s shit.

wolfenstein
    Free Member

😯

daveb
    Free Member

Used it in the past and really liked it, will use again.

tpbiker
    Free Member

Brilliant on my XC bike. Not sure Id wanted it on the bigger bike as I could foresee some accidental shifts going on.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

Tbh, gripshift is the reason I’ll not use Shimano, I love it and would choose nothing else.

scaredypants

gripshift is great IMO but I hate sram mechs so all my bikes are shimano triggers now (since sram stopped the named shifters)

wolfenstein
    Free Member

very strange that quite few actually uses gripshift… can you use other grips by the way? like Yeti ODI

stoney
    Free Member

The XX1 Grip Shift comes with it`s own grips, running it on my HDR…..

I have ran GS for almost 20 years (back then it was Sachs Wavey), cos I tore half my right thumb off on a machine and so can`t use triggers, even new ones that are quite light to use still pose a problem after a short while.

Back to GS, never had a “ghost/mis shift” as you get used to more/less grip to change gear and the new XX1 have wide grips, so your hand naturally stays away from the shifter and it`s a quick flick to change gear……

Hope this helps! 😛

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Used grip for 2 years now. Thumb injury got me to try it and never looked back. Running it on my main trail/enduro type bike. Never had any issues with extra shifting etc. and my hand sits on the shift most of the time. Ease of shifting is a huge difference, being able to move most of the way up the cassette in one go is great for racing and technical trails when you suddenly drop speed.

I’m still on 10sp X0, used the supplied grips and found them too wide, use ESI silicones now so just cut with a kitchen knife to fit. Previous ODI style lock ons cut with a hacksaw to fit.

stoney
    Free Member

Hi there Mike!,

Yeah totally agree with that full cassette changing, All the sprockets in one twist….. 😆

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Morning Andy.

Also cleanest looking bar setup.

stoney
    Free Member

Yip!

frood
    Free Member

Very much a marmite issue, hate for me, but you won’t know unless you try

Adam_Buckland
    Free Member

I’ve used them for years, 9, 10 and now 11 speed. The 9 and 10 were with a Sram mech and were great but now I mix X01 Grip Shift with XTR rear mech and the shifting is even better. I use foam grips and just trim to suit – I really wouldn’t go back.

njee20
    Free Member

I actually found the XX1 Grip Shift a bit plasticky and cheap feeling. Not a patch on the (ironically much cheaper) 9 speed X0 shifters of old.

XTR trigger/mech on XX1 cassette for me.

seadog101

Used GS years ago, so that’s why I want to change to X0. Just gone to 1 x 10, and it seems a better option.

Why do some people think Sram mechs are pants? Mine have always been magic.

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Love gripshift for racing, been a fan since the old x-ray ones, but the current generation are outstanding.

MoreCashThanDash

A mate swears by it, it got great reviews when it was launched. Might be in the mag archive?

njee20
    Free Member

but the current generation are outstanding.

See I thought they felt cheap, ergonomically and in use.

I had to put a small square of tape under the ‘carbon’ cable cover because it rattled constantly. Not great on a £100 shifter!

sbob
    Free Member

please talk me out of considering an XX1 gripshift

Ok,
    the whole point of integrating brake and gear levers was so that you didn’t have to change your hand position to use them.
    Gripshift are a backwards step in this respect.
    Trigger shifters may be more complicated than gripshift, but then shoelaces are more complicated to use than velcro straps.

Can you tie your own shoelaces…?
    😉

STATO
    Free Member

[/quote]

Ok,
    the whole point of integrating brake and gear levers was so that you didn’t have to change your hand position to use them.

No it wasnt, it was to reduce the amount of clamps on your bar = cosmetics. Current shifters have more adjustability to get them ‘just so’ than any integrated mounts.

Trigger shifters may be more complicated than gripshift

If you were moving your hand or getting mis-shifts when you tried gripshift then you must have to write ‘up’ and ‘down’ on your thumbshifters, cos you obviously cant handle anything complicated 😉

sbob
    Free Member

No it wasnt, it was to reduce the amount of clamps on your bar = cosmetics.

Then explain STi for road bikes…

Check. 😛

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Ok,

Assuming you have never tried it then, much more control, no weird hand movements, just simplicity that works.
    It’s like when people are amazed that you can shift more than one gear with a trigger now, it’s nothing new the rest of us can shift 8 at once and brake and steer at the same time.

sbob
    Free Member

mikewsmith – Member

Assuming you have never tried it then

Oh dear, I would have thought the tongue in cheek nature of my OP was obvious enough.
    I have tried gripshift thanks, though not for some years.

much more control, no weird hand movements

So you no longer have to rotate your hands about the handlebar to change gear?
    How do they work now then?
    I am well out of touch; my bike is 15yrs old, though I am aware of the two advances in trigger shift tech that have occurred in that time, no idea how gripshift has changed. 😳

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Small movement, easily done without rotating the hand, it’s a really light touch these days, some days it’s hard to tell whats tongue in cheek and whats just being an arse in here 😉 🙂 🙄

larkim
    Free Member

I thought gripshifts were only for BSOs bought from ToysRUs!

STATO
    Free Member

I thought gripshifts were only for BSOs bought from ToysRUs!

Thats where most people have experienced them and now slate them as poor. As with anything, just cos youve tried the cheap carp doesnt mean the good ones are the same.

STATO
    Free Member

So you no longer have to rotate your hands about the handlebar to change gear?
    How do they work now then?

Regularly see people pushing the thumb trigger by placing thumb on trigger but moving their hand, rather than you know, moving their thumb. Novices isnt it, not learned how to do it the easy way.

GregMay
    Free Member

Gripshift good. Two years back on it and I won’t move away.

sbob
    Free Member

Small movement, easily done without rotating the hand

😕

I’m sure they’re better than when I last used them, but I’m struggling to imagine holding a cylinder and making that rotate about its own axis without also rotating my hand about the same axis.

I do hope you’re not shitting me mike, that would not be cool.

I’d have to come round your house at night and sneak into your bedroom and induce bicycle related nightmares by rapidly clicking a 1992 Deore DX rapidfire+ shifter next to your slumbering lug hole.

Do you like the sound of that mike?

DO YOU?

DO YOU MIKE?

karlsbug
    Free Member

I inherited some, not removed since I actually quite like them. Just moved them inboard a bit to prevent accidental shifts.

benji
    Free Member

Love them, have used them on and off for almost twenty years, great bits of kit, the best thing is in the winter, where you can where the biggest warmest gloves you can find and not have a problem changing gear.

As for STI’s on road bikes if you ever experienced road racing on downtube shifters, or cyclocross on barend shifters, there is your answer. Brake and gears are capable of being operated all at the same time.

sbob
    Free Member

mikewsmith – Member

Small movement, easily done without rotating the hand

Genuinely curious about this so I thought I’d check out some videos.

How gripshift works.

Telling lies is naughty mike.

Genuinely disappointed. 🙁

Sweet dreams… 😈

STATO
    Free Member

Sbob – are you action man? Do you not have the ability to move your fingers?

The movement needed to change gear is quite small, people who are not inanimate objects tend to have enough flexibility in their hand to move the index finger and thumb To shift gear (or often just with thumb and Palm)

sbob
    Free Member

STATO – Member

Sbob – are you action man?

I see myself more as My Little Pony. 8)

Do you not have the ability to move your fingers?

I have hooves man! 🙄

The movement needed to change gear is quite small, people who are not inanimate objects tend to have enough flexibility in their hand to move the index finger and thumb To shift gear (or often just with thumb and Palm)

The movement required is almost certainly what is shown in that video.
    Unless you are changing only one gear at a time then you obviously do have to rotate your hand about the bar, and won’t be able to brake effectively at the same time.

I couldn’t care less what method people use to change gear, but the arguments above are akin to me suggesting that clicky levers are better because they only contain two moving parts.

ie horse shit.
    And not My Little Pony, rolled in glitter, smells like Gaultier horse poop, either. 💡

🙂

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

Adam_Buckland – Member
    I’ve used them for years, 9, 10 and now 11 speed. The 9 and 10 were with a Sram mech and were great but now I mix X01 Grip Shift with XTR rear mech and the shifting is even better. I use foam grips and just trim to suit – I really wouldn’t go back.

So can you actually run 11 speed gripshift with XTR rear mech or am I missing something here ?

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘please talk me out of considering an XX1 gripshift’ is closed to new replies.