Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Please support this trail link near Buxton
  • stilltortoise
    Free Member

Hi and happy new year. I hope some of you can spare time to support this new bit of trail (below). It may be relatively tame by modern mountain bike standards, but is still a good ride in the countryside. Apparently the proposal got turned down last time due to lack of support, so let’s please make sure that doesn’t happen at this new hearing.
    Thanks
    PEAK CYCLE LINKS
    Plans to link Buxton with existing bike routes the Monsal Trail and the Tissington Trail have been re-submitted to High Peak Borough Council and you can get full details and comment on the proposals via the HPBC Planning Website – the application numbers are HPK/2010/0521 and HPK/2010/0651. Peak Cycle Links have also set up a public meeting at 7:30pm on the 11th January, in the Octagon, Pavilion Gardens, Buxton, where the charity will give everyone the chance to ask questions about the scheme, address any concerns about access etc and hope you will support the proposals.

Shorty121
    Free Member

It gets my support but i got an exam on the 12th so it wont be possible for me to go

racing_ralph
    Free Member

online petition may be a good plan

racing_ralph
    Free Member

Is this the idea to open the tunnels on the Monsal trail?

Shorty121
    Free Member

yeah it is ralph

h4muf
    Free Member

Well,it’s all going ahead.

I posted this photo on facebook last month,and a lad i know has won the tender for lighting in the tunnels.

Alot of the work has been done i think.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/derbyshire/8652356.stm

racing_ralph
    Free Member

I hope so as i live half way between bakewell and buxton on the old line route so could get to either place by bike easily 🙂

Andituk
    Free Member

According to Jim Dixon (Peak District Chief Exec) on twitter today, work starts on the electrics this week, and they plan to open this spring.

Shorty121
    Free Member

Ralph where abouts do you live as I live in Taddington which this route would be useful

racing_ralph
    Free Member

Cressbrook

drop me a mail if you need a riding buddy

geordiemick00
    Free Member

I came on here to post a link asking if anyone knew the latest on this!!

I want to ride this trail so bad, it may not be the longest or the steepest (well I hope not if it was a train line) but the scenery must be awesome.

Looking forward to it officially opening soon

stilltortoise
    Free Member

It’s a link to join Buxton up with the High Peak trail. Some of you may know the old railway line near Harpur Hill quarry, and making this a legal trail is a key part of it

postierich
    Free Member

Got any maps to link to

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Planning application

This is the main application. Links to maps on this page

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Even if I can show High Peak Borough Council this thread with plenty of interested parties, they may reconsider the proposal.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

*bump*

racing_ralph
    Free Member

where has all the content gone?

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Nuts!

Since the original post has vanished into the STW ether, here we go again…

Plans have been submitted to High Peak Borough Council for some cycleways to link up Buxton to the Monsal trail and the Tissington Trail. Apparently the plans were rejected due to lack of interest, but the plans have been resubmitted and there is a public hearing to discuss them on January 11th, hence why I’m appealing to the STW massive.

You can view the plans on the HPBC website, application numbers HPK/2010/0521 and HPK/2010/0651.

Peak Cycle Links have also set up a public meeting at 7:30pm on the 11th January, in the Octagon, Pavilion Gardens, Buxton where the charity will give everyone the chance to ask questions about the scheme, address any concerns about access etc. I will be attending and if I can show support from the STWers it may help, so post your support below please.

Thanks

stilltortoise
    Free Member

I know the site’s been playing up a bit, but there must be some of you out there who are keen to see more trails for us. Granted this is pretty family friendly stuff and not rad-to-the-power-of-gnarr, but it’s all cycling and if we don’t make a noise we don’t get. I for one have a young family so I’m keen to see more easy trails.

If you support and want to see these plans put into action let me hear from you. If you’d prefer to email me check my profile.

This is the kind of thing where a big forum like this can have an impact. I know it’s fun to argue the toss over “what tyre”, but this is a “good thing” for all of us, so let’s use the forum to make a difference. Thanks 🙂

Lankysprinter
    Free Member

I’m in full support of this. One part time hope valley resident and friends would use this, buxton needs more links!

stilltortoise
    Free Member

*bumpity bump*

Shorty121
    Free Member

Like I said before it got deleted I would come but got an exam next day so I might try and rearange it, or i’ll send some of my family.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

I know most people won’t/can’t attend the meeting, but if I can show a load of posts or emails saying “yes please” it can only help.

Ta

cuckoo
    Free Member

Support +1

I thought all this had already got the go ahead from “pedal peak district” or whatever they are called?

I use the high peak trail / tissington trail as off-road training in the winter when the local trails are muddy or there is alot of snow and ice down. Having the monsal trail as another option would be great IMO.

The multi-user trails are also good for linking up bridleways without venturing onto the busy peak district roads which can be hazardous with freight and cars a plenty.

I would imagine riding the Monsal trail would be better for families / tourists etc. as it is less exposed. Going through the tunnel and emerging onto the viaduct high above the Wye at Monsal Dale should be pretty cool for most people especially if they don’t realise whats ahead. A real pain at the moment having to take the detour up and over.

Shorty121
    Free Member

Yeah the trails are pretty tame compared to some of the trails around but it would be handy to link up routes

cuckoo
    Free Member

😳

just read the planning applications. Nothing to do with Monsal Trail.

Still down as +1 support though as any options to get around away from the A6 / A515 / A53 / A54 will be a big + for me.

couldgetacarforthat
    Free Member

We are ‘local’ family. My son is 5 years old and mad into biking with his dad. This would be a good way to spend the summer. Go for it!

Hanky

I’m a big supporter of this as a resident in Matlock and have previously supplied some info to John Grimshaw in a professional capacity – I’m keen to see it all linked up eventually.

The Supporting Statement and associated documentation are very convincing. The proposals will undoubtedly attract more tourists to the area, make our countryside more accessible on trails which are particularly suited to family cyclists and deliver wider economic benefits. In these more difficult times, when areas are actively competing for tourism income, isn’t this precisely the sort of thing local authorities throughout the Peak District should be supporting.

sambob
    Free Member

Yes please.

Support from me

h4muf
    Free Member

And me.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

*UPDATE*

The public meeting has been postponed but until when I don’t know. Plan B is to therefore submit comments on the application here. The plans are references HPK/2010/0521 and HPK/2010/0651.

Please find a moment to submit your support.

Thanks again

stilltortoise
    Free Member

just read the planning applications. Nothing to do with Monsal Trail.

This is not strictly true. Plan HPK/2010/0521 is part of the proposed link between Buxton and the Monsal Head Trail which will – if it all goes ahead – mostly be along the old railway line. Anyone who has walked down there will know this would be a beautiful spot to ride a bike. Of course this may not happen since it is not beyond the realms of possibility that the railway line will be reopened. We’re seeing old lines being reopened around Leek, so who knows. Then we won’t be riding or walking on the track 🙁

Reopening a rail line takes years though IF it ever gets the green light, so wouldn’t it be great if we can cycle on it in the meantime?

I suspect this is the plan that will be the most interesting one to watch in terms of heated debate.

cuckoo
    Free Member

supporting comments registered on council website

lesoudeur
    Free Member

Thanks for posting this, i have forwarded it on to friends. My comments were “This is a brilliant idea from the both the aspect of improving cycle amenities in the area and promoting environmentally friendly alternatives of realistic travel distances. It will help support refreshment stations on the routes and provide a cycling alternative from Asbourne to Buxton away from a dangerous, congested and busy road system.”

Greybeard
    Free Member

I’ve just looked up what’s happened to this. HPK/2010/0651 (linking the Tissington Trail to Buxton, I think) has been approved, but HPK/2010/0521 (Monsal Trail to Buxton via Woo Dale) is still “Pending”. I don’t understand how a Planning Application can be pending for over 7 months – local authorities usually have an 8 week target to determine them.

pepper11
    Free Member

The proposed cycle path through Grin Low woods to the old railway line was thrown out by 11:0 at the planning last week. This was a silly place to put the trail as it went up a 1:8 slope from a very busy, congested road,past 2 garages and into an SSSI. The better place would have been up the A53, as the verge there is wide enough to park cars, up past the garage and then up Stable Lane and to join the original route.

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Please support this trail link near Buxton’ is closed to new replies.