• This topic has 160 replies, 105 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by gazc.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 161 total)
  • Please stop all this 29r marketing tosh!!! You don't fool me!!!
  • starsh78
    Free Member

I’ve just gone back to 26 after 18 months of 29er…. wasnt for me too slow in the handling even with a 50mm stem and 10 feet of bars.

felt weird, almost too massive frame wise… and im 6ft1

Brake-neck
    Free Member

Starsh, was it the same 29er for those 18 months?

andyruss
    Free Member

ride a26 anthem ,tried an anthem 29er with exactly the same spec . Had for a weekend and couldn’t wait to give it back, but each to his own

starsh78
    Free Member

Brake-neck – Member
    Starsh, was it the same 29er for those 18 months?

Specialized Carve for most of it & Cannondale flash 29er for a bit

on a mondraker foxy r at the mo very nice machine!

dingabell
    Free Member

It is getting a bit boring now with all the fanboys banging on about how they’ll change your life in every magazine on the shelf. That said, while the world of mountain biking is busy arguing about wheel size, road bikes seem to be taking over the universe. I’m just happy being out my un-trendy and so last-season 26er.

nedoverendsmole
    Free Member

29ers meh, 26ers Yeah! 650bers…….tumble weed…distant church bells

starsh78
    Free Member

woo 26er! i’m so niche.

starsh78
    Free Member

woo 29er! I have a beard (generalisation)

stumpy01

the yanks have been
    riding them for years.

Yeah, but they’ve been riding Harley Davidsons for years too. Doesn’t mean it’s a good idea.

pjm84
    Free Member

I led a ride recently and asked one of the guys, who had just bought a 26er Camber, if he looked at the 29er version. He told me no because the steering was too slow and ponderous on a 29er

We then did some single track and he was so slow on the twisty stuff that I wasn’t really sure on what his definition of slow and ponderous really was.

starsh78
    Free Member

trouble is spesh have lowered the camber top tube height to mirror a 26″ wheeled bike & done some geometry tweeks again to make it feel like a 26″ bike…..whats the point.

hmmm.

singlespeedstu

OP try Fatbike hating is much newerer that 29er hating.

bunnerscj
    Free Member

Think the OP here is a bit of a knob to be honest 🙄

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

They look similarly fun to 26″ bikes to me… but since all mine work fine i’m sticking with them.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tedZFl3cHyw[/video]

martinxyz
    Free Member

First things first. You can’t show off how good a wagon wheeled bike is to anyone if it’s a vid showing someone that’s learnt to ride a bike on 20″ wheels all his life ;O)

Some people follow the fashion, some don’t. What I don’t get is, if It’s been around for years, why has it taken so long to catch on? (bit like the Jimmy Saville thing, I mean that’s taken a few years to raise it’s ugly head).

By 2015 29er’s will hit the headlines of mtb magazines using the word ‘monster’ and ‘odd ball’ too.. after thousands of bikers will be left feeling like they’ve been ‘inappropriately touched’ by all this codswallop.

shifter
    Free Member

Nice vid!

trailster – Member
    Does the motor Bike industry do the same with off road bikes?

Honda used to sell trail bikes with 23″ front wheels for a while in the eighties, but soon went back to 21s. A 21″ wheel with a trail tyre is probably 29″ OD… An 17 on the back probably 26″ OD.

All my bikes are 26ers, most of my commuting and local rides would probably be better on a 29er – I just CBA to change 😀

Hopk1ns
    Free Member

Don’t own a 29 but really like them.

They have absorbed all the grief spd’s used to get in mountain biking. Now all the rad dudes target 29ers.

ronjeremy
    Free Member

Its just riding bikes, ride/buy what you can afford, let the man next to you do the same, but just go out there any enjoy it, something’s will better, and something’s worse, some will work for some and not others, find your own niche and hell just have fun…

(And yes I have a home built 69er rigid SS, a beard, and have been spotted wearing sandals before)

starsh78
    Free Member

i’m totally getting a 29er with spuds and ill make it 1×8 or something just to fit in with the new fad. (and ima grow a beard and not wash)

Gunz
    Free Member

If I won the lottery I’d buy every bike going and but I haven’t so I’m quite happy to ride the same old 26 year after year. If your financial situation is different, treat yourself and good luck.

P.S. I still can’t really see why other forks are worth the premium over a set of £200’ish Rebas for general trail stuff.

BadlyWiredDog

ocrider

Besides being the proud owner of a 2×9 29er (a bit behind the times there), I am trying to reinforce the stereotype by not shaving this morning. It feels great to be part of the herd.

klumpy
    Free Member

Now me, I’d no more decide that my next bike must have a certain size of wheel than I’d decide it must have a certain size of rotor, or a certain number of gears. I’d buy the whole bike, not some wheels with a bike coincidentally attached.

andypaul99
    Free Member

[quoteOP try Fatbike hating is much newerer that 29er hating.[/quote]

I don’t hate fat bikes but they are rather odd..

HermanShake
    Free Member

Pfft, klunking’s the way forward. Of course the Transition chaps could make riding a scooter in the woods look appealing, there is a certain less-is-more charm.

Horse f’courses innit? I like a 26″ pony with either a firm or bouncy rear end, some favour a 29″ shire with no knees. I dabbled with a 69er wonky donkey, which was good fun and nippy but not as effortless to ride faster. Diversity is good, but specificity must be acknowledged. Unless you have the skillz to klunk.

26ers or normal MTBs are proven, 29ers have been impressing people for some time. Take a look at kayaks or canoes, the diversity of style/volume/purpose has remained as such for a long time and continues to develop. A whitewater boat would work in the sea, but a surf boat would be better. This doesn’t mean one invalidates the other.

jameso

Now me, I’d no more decide that my next bike must have a certain size of wheel than I’d decide it must have a certain size of rotor, or a certain number of gears. I’d buy the whole bike, not some wheels with a bike coincidentally attached.

~the sound of applause from here~

pussywillow
    Free Member

trailster – Member
    Does the motor Bike industry do the same with off road bikes?
    POSTED 15 HOURS AGO # REPORT-POST

Exactly!
    They get a pro rider to advertise it, he rides it well (but would ride a 26r better) and so the middle class celeb wannabes fall for the hype and buy one cos they’ve too much money and they think that’ll make em just as gnar as the pro rider!! 😆
    Thank you and god bless!

shortcut

Won’t find any of that rubbish around here! No silly little wheels to be found.

ska-49
    Free Member

But what If I own both?

prezet
    Free Member

@pussywillow speaks the truth

The only reasons I hear from 29er riders is it makes things ‘easier’… that charge vid proves they handle corners like a shed door.

pussywillow
    Free Member

My point is im fed up of it being thrown in my face everywhere I look! It’s all bullshit, if you’ve got one then please dont consider it a mountain bike!….it’s a cycle cross bike, it’s like they think it’s up to them how they control us! And I won’t be one of the sheep! I am a true free rider baby! Hallelujah! 8)

ahwiles
    Free Member

i’ve fallen for the marketing tosh!

i’ve ordered a 29er!

i can’t wait!

🙂

mattjg
    Free Member

@op I don’t know if this thread is you winding us up or us winding you up!

It’s amusing for a wet Friday afternoon anyway.

BTW my first 29er was on the dirt last week. 26 is over. Have you heard?

pussywillow
    Free Member

mattjg – Member

It’s amusing for a wet Friday afternoon anyway.

BTW my first 29er was on the dirt last week. 26 is over. Have you heard?

The day that the 26″ dies is the day mountain biking dies!! I’m sorry to say but your doing cycle cross riding!
    Would they still call it a bmx if they put 26″ wheels on??? No, I don’t think they would!
    Please don’t call yourselves mountain bike riders when your riding a circus bike.

fenred
    Free Member

Would they still call it a bmx if they put 26″ wheels on???

Next niche! Liking the sound of that 8)

mattjg
    Free Member

Fair enough, whatever.

We win!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Would they still call it a bmx if they put 26″ wheels on??? No, I don’t think they would!
    Please don’t call yourselves mountain bike riders when your riding a circus bike.

Yes they do, it’s the cruiser class (24″, 26″, hell you could enter on a 29er).

It’s all right, you’ll grow up to be a big strong boy soon and the big boys will invite you out to play, untill then just remember your mother loves you very very much.

mattjg
    Free Member

it’s like they think it’s up to them how they control us!

Now I’m confused – who is ‘them’ who is ‘us’? In fact now that we have established I am a ‘cycle crosser’ , am I ‘us’, ‘them’ or ‘nobby no-mates’ ?

rone

You either embrace change or you don’t. Marketing isn’t exclusive to 29er bikes … you would sort of have to opt out everything, including any commercial enterprise and live up a tree to make your point.

fenred
    Free Member

Now I’m confused – who is ‘them’ who is ‘us’? In fact now that we have established I am a ‘cycle crosser’ , am I ‘us’, ‘them’ or ‘nobby no-mates’ ?

I’m confused too! Is a cycle crosser someone that carves across your line whilst basking in his own gnarr or is Pissywallow talking out of his poo-shoot….Again 😯

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 161 total)

The topic ‘Please stop all this 29r marketing tosh!!! You don't fool me!!!’ is closed to new replies.