Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Please recommend me a guitar, I dont have a clue
  • davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I could do with a new guitar, max budget about £150 (dont mind buying 2nd hand either). I play in a ska band so want it to sound decent for that sort of stuff.

I literally dont have a clue, I take no interest in guitars but enjoy playing them all the same.

Would like something that aint too heavy and has a nice low action. I was playing an epiphone (i think) last week that had a hollow body and it sounded pretty bassy, that was nice. Anything out there similar to this?

Yamaha pacifica/squier tele or strat, are these any good?

Any help appreciated

jahwomble
    Free Member

I wouldn't get a Pacifica again,they're pig ugly and the build, component and wiring quality is really quite poor for the cash even on the pricier ones. You should be able to get a decent second hand vintage vibe tele or strat for £150 if you scout around. I've had a few of the vintage vibes through my workshop for set-ups,upgrades etc, and for the money they are great.

flip
    Free Member

I've got a Pacifica and i love it, i've played Strats and Teles in guitar shops and they don't sound much better IMHO 😉

poppa
    Free Member

I had one of the very first Pacificas – beautiful sunburst one made in Japan – and it was lovely. I sold it, and ended up re-buying a new one about five years later and it was crap in comparison. 🙁

jahwomble
    Free Member

Yup, the new Pacificas are crap definitely, I refuse to work on 'em anymore. The old ones were okish.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Cheers for the advice guys, keep it coming

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Does anyone else have any recommendations?

starseven
    Free Member

Bought my boy a basic Dean for xmas, came recomended and he seems to like it.

tankslapper
    Free Member

Doh! Just realised its electric you're after!

waynekerr
    Free Member

Sorry, but I can't believe you play in a band & have no idea about the quality of guitars.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Are Fernandes guitars any good?

Sorry, but I can't believe you play in a band & have no idea about the quality of guitars.

Neither can I sometimes! It all still seems like a dream, I cant believe I've got where I am today with no idea about the quality of guitars

jahwomble
    Free Member

"Sorry, but I can't believe you play in a band & have no idea about the quality of guitars. "

I can, I'm a Luthier and constantly amazed by the ignorance about build materials, how pick ups effect sound,neck radii of necks at various points etc, of a reasonably high percentage of the players I build or modify instruments for.

thomthumb
    Free Member

peavy and yamaha always seem to do decent value basic guitars.

if your looking for semi acoustic epiphone always seemed good entry level.

with *cheaper* guitars it's far more important to play the guitar your buying as the qc is so much more lax. imo.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Im not really that interested in guitars to be honest, i like playing bad solos n bits n pieces on them, but thats it.

I'd quite like a guitar that looks badass though, just for the sake of band image to be honest. A local music shop has a Fernandes and it looked awesome/awful. One of these below:

It seems like cheap guitars are a bit hit n miss. I looked at some squier strat/telecaster reviews and some said they were good, others said quality was shite.

john_l
    Free Member

I had a Fernandes strat about 22 years ago, which I'd kept it as it was beautiful. Using an Epiphone Dot at the moment is nice. Ska – got to be a Tele hasn't it?

mrfox
    Free Member

I'd recommend 2nd hand as 150 might get you a guitar that feels ok but as soon as you plug it in, particularly in a gig situation, the bugger will feedback like a banshee wail. Squires arnt bad, I started with a Jim Deacon 20 years ago which was fit for purpose, but I would steer clear of cheap les paul copies.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Please recommend me a guitar, I dont have a clue’ is closed to new replies.