Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Please recommend me a commuting tyre 700x32c
  • muzzle
    Free Member

Morning, I need to replace the 700x32c tyres on my commuting bike – I ride 5 miles each way on Sheffield city streets. I could do with something as puncture-proof as possible that’ll do the job all year round and be fairly fast rolling, although I’m happy to compromise to get some grip. If you’ve ever cycled on Sheffield roads, you’ll probably appreciate that they need to be reasonably robust too.

Been looking at Conti TourRide, which seem decent value at around £15; are the Schwalbe Marathon Plus worth paying almost twice that? Alternatively, can anybody recommend anything else? Thanks.

verses

I’ve been happy with the standard Schwalbe Marathons (not the Plus version) which are a bit cheaper.

It’s been on a year and no puncture yet </tempts_fate>

ahwiles
    Free Member

had about 1 puncture / month with standard marathons – always the rear tyre. it seemed that although i could ride through broken glass with no immediate effect, bits of glass would get stuck deep in the tread, and slowly work their way in – driven by my weight? (more weight over the rear). my puncture rate dropped a lot when i took 1 evening a week to picking bits of glass out of my tyres with tweezers.

(20k every day, in sheffield, where it’s potholes and broken glass ***king everywhere)

had none in over a year since i changed the rear to a marathon plus.

if you never want to get a puncture, and can accept the weight*, it’s marathon plus for the win.

(*my 700×32 weighs more than 800g)

i’ve even stopped the tweezing…

tthew

Continental Sport Contact’s here. Not had a pucture all year, and I’ve definately ridden over some broken bottles in the dark. Expensive, but they roll like a decent road tyre too.

TPTcruiser

Marathon plus on the back for me also, Heeley to Chapeltown, a replacement for a “CST 700 x 32 Kevlar Inside” shredded after nine months. Not looked at the rear since, no problems.

Front tyre ok though I have picked out the glass and metal last week after my first puncture at the front. Got a Marathon plus on my Xmas wish list for the front too.

CraigW
    Free Member

Marathon Plus are very tough, about as puncture proof as you can get, and last ages. Though rather heavy and slow.
    I’m now using Panaracer Pasela PT. Much lighter weight than Marathon Plus, and seem fairly tough, so far no punctures.

wilsation
    Free Member

Do not but Marathons, mine went in the bin. They may be puncture proof but they’re so slow and heavy you’d probably be quicker on fast tyres and stopping to fix a puncture on the way….

iainc

I have a set of the 32c conti reflex ones, with reflective sidestrip – great tyres, use them on CX bike when not proper off roading.

nbt

I’ve been using Marathon plus for several years. They do wear out eventually but I’ve not had a problem – but then I’m not trying to set speed records so I don’t care if they’re heavy, I just care that they work

martinwilly
    Free Member

Probably an annoying answer but I too loathe riding on slow tyres, like the Marathons. It depresses me and I’ve got too much commute to do to dawdle.

I’ve just changed my Continental Gatorskins 700x28c for another pair after 6000 kilometres commuting from central London to the burbs each day.

I had zero punctures in those 6000k.

I check my tyres most days and flick out any flints/shards with a pair of pointy tweezers. I now get to do this in a nice, dry, warm, well-lit basement but if I had to go back to doing in by head-torch in the garden, I’d still rather do that than go back to Marathons.

Conti do a 32 too.

TiRed

Schwalbe Marathon Plus for robust wet weather grip.
    Schwalbe Durano Plus for a little less resistance.

both available in 700×28 and 700×32. I have never punctured a Marathon Plus and think I only had one in the Durano Plus before I wore them down.

Not a fan of Continental tyres in wet weather.

alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

Michelin Pilot Sport City on mine.

They have reflective sidewalls too.

traildog
    Free Member

I’ve got some Marathon Plus and I have to admit that they are not my favourite tyre. They are certainly not the fastest which I notice even when fit (which I’m not atm – so I hate them more). Add in they are stiff and uncomfortable so that I really feel the rough surfaces.

Great puncture protection though. If my commute was half the distance, then I’d probably like them.

I bought them to replace the gatorskins which had worn out and which I punctured a number of times and found slippy in the wet. Marathons certainly improved on those faults I guess.

MoreCashThanDash

I was recommended Conti Sport Contacts, and they have been great on Nottinghams streets, cycle paths and tow paths.

seanbolton
    Free Member

I use Panaracer Pasela Tour Guard tyres. Excellent tyre, perfect for commute and will handle rough paths as well as tarmac.

pondo

…Continental Gatorskins 700x28c…

+1 on the hybrid. Bike shop I got my racer from recommended Schwalbe Duranos when the OEM Luganos die.

brakes
    Free Member

I check my tyres most days and flick out any flints/shards with a pair of pointy tweezers.

this. checking tyres once every couple of weeks for bits of embedded glass saves on loads of punctures.

MaryHinge
    Free Member

I have a 25 mile each way commute on 50% road 50% farm tracks/bridle ways/towpath/cycle lanes.

Marathon Greenguard in 35mm here. They are dog slow and heavy. BUT they are tough as old boots. I’d sooner lug them around than stop to fix punctures.

Tried other tyres and got punctures almost every ride.

Michelin Tracker were fairly good before them, and were very cheap.

brakes
    Free Member

Sods law, I got a puncture on the way home!
    And my brake cable snapped.
    Fate tempted!

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Continental Touring Plus for me. 2 rear punctures in 1200 miles of bridle way and urban roads.

ahwiles
    Free Member

are you telling us how good your tyres are, or how bad?

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Me? I’m making you guess.
    Clues: 1200 miles and tyres not ripped off and burnt as I scream joyous chants. 2 punctures.
    Do the math.

ahwiles
    Free Member

Do the math

ok.

1200 miles / 2 punctures = a bit crap really.

(only a little better* than the 1puncture/month i was getting with standard marathons)

(*but not much)

muzzle
    Free Member

Hey! I didn’t want to start a fight…

Thanks for all the advice by the way.

didgerman
    Free Member

Marathon plus here, no punctures around the streets of glasgow, terrible potholes, iron work, broken glass, more of that than tarmac, and they’ve
    been fine. Had lighter tyres before, very good, certainly noticed the weight when the schwalbes went on, but I prefer it to fixing the odd puncture at night, in -10 or peeing rain. Besides, it helps get fit, which is sort of the point.

lemonysam
    Free Member

Marathon Pluses here. They don’t puncture but they do ride horribly. Not demonstrably slower than my previous tyres but they feel pretty grotty.

Edit: but for me that’s worth it, your mileage may vary.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Can I change my post to read 1230 miles 3 punctures.
    the last being in the middle of the worst of last nights weather,
    I finally know what a storm of ‘biblical’ proportions is. I would have rather gone to church than be out in that…

eddiebaby
    Free Member

WTF edit! Not a puncture. The inner tube has split in two like is has been cleanly cut with a pair of scissors! 😯

doof_doof
    Free Member

The inner tube has split in two like is has been cleanly cut with a pair of scissors!

The tube would still be one piece, no? 😉

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Jesus Christ! Now I have to deal with tautological topologists too….

😆

muzzle
    Free Member

Just to resurrect this thread… I went for the Marathon Plus in the end. First ride in this morning and I really like them. Not nearly as uncomfortable as I was expecting, and they seemed to roll really well. Noticeably heavier than the previous non-branded tyres that I had on the bike from new, but no problems so far.

They were an absolute pain to fit though, I managed to snap a plastic tyre lever and pinched two tubes. I recommend getting as narrow a tube as possible for the tyre/wheel size so there’s a bit less rubber to get caught between the tyre and the rim when you fit them. Hope they’re as puncture proof as they claim, cos I don’t relish the thought of changing a tube by the side of the road any time soon.

Macavity
    Free Member
Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Please recommend me a commuting tyre 700x32c’ is closed to new replies.