Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)
  • Please put me off buying a double decker bus?
  • project
    Free Member

oh and it looks more northern counties body work than ECW,at some tiome in its life it was also a Arriva bus, due to the blue paint in the engine bay.

Have a look at route one magazine, or bus and coach for good deals on used buses.

sambob
    Free Member

Do it. Then convert the upper deck into some awesome bedrooms and possibly a balcony. then keep all the bikes downstairs, with a full sized workshop.

sambob
    Free Member

I think I’d have this instead though.

bazookajoe
    Free Member

I know of a Leyland Atlantean that may be for sale – it’s painted purple though, and already stripped/converted inside as a playbus. No idea what the price would be. I drove it’s predecessor (with no power steering and no passengers) on my normal licence down Princes Street, that was grand!

wwaswas

sambob – I’m looking at that and think “Mmmmmm, there’s possibilities with that one”. Looks like a good price, currently too.

hora
    Free Member

I’d buy an old routemaster and call it horas Sexualexpress 8)

s
    Free Member

Is it true that the first routemaster dont have a fuel guage, just a dipstick to the tank?

Well, not pressed the button yet, going to book some lessons to see how I get on first & the Mrs has said ‘do what the hell I like as long as its not parked near her’, this could be a goer 😉

Thinking more a mobile ‘walk in Cafe’ than a bike lugger, but you never know 😉

maccruiskeen

(long time ago) i used to do install work for a bus that had been converted into a travelling art gallery, I converted one for similar purposes too.

The gallery one was operated by a council and could be driven by anyone with a standard drivers license and a certain amount of chutpah (this was pre 1997 mind – only people with older licenses could do it now), in much the same way as a 7.5t truck can be/ could be. I don’t know whether there needed to be an ‘O’ License held by someone, I wouldn’t be surprised if there wasn’t though.

I only had to move the ones I worked on around my yard, rather than on the open road – its interesting, pre-selectors and nonsense like that. Its like a ghost is driving the bus you you’re trying to stop it.

Depending on how its reclassified the size / weight would be irrelevant to HGV or Operator License rules – if its not being used to carry goods – some SUVs are heavier than laden commercial vehicles, and so called ‘Dual Purpose’ vehicles (Navara type 4×4 pickups) can dodge the train-weight rules when towing and have an all up weight that would require an ‘O’ license with any other kind of vehicle

The buses I worked on had all the seats out, and in some cases had the top deck floor removed to make a larger exhibition volume. That means they had probably been re-classified as another kind of vehicle.

grum
    Free Member

I’d buy an old routemaster and call it horas Sexualexpress

*shudder*

At least the police would be able to find you quite easily.

maccruiskeen

horas Sexualexpress

Ding ding! (ding dong)

antigee

read a copy of something like bus restoration monthlyat the dentists once and was surprised that you can drive a classic bus then let the urge to buy one pass me by

mastiles_fanylion – Member
    Seems the bus would be way over the allowable weight limit…

Exempted passenger carrying vehicles
    Holders of a full category B (car) driving licence may drive any of the vehicles listed below:
    a passenger carrying vehicle manufactured more than 30 years before the date when it is driven and not used for hire or reward or for the carriage of more than 8 passengers

magazine i remember reading seemed to suggest above means that for a 30yr old bus anyone can drive with an ordinary license – all seem a bit odd as fairly sure only reason can hire an mpv/minibus with 8 seats or more is because have had a license prior to i think around 1995 and in those days it was automatic

here’s a linky with what looks like facts – albeit nerdy not officialdom
    http://www.self-preservation-society.co.uk/jotter/driving.htm

i guess you to have wear a period uniform or get rasta stylee with a dog on a string though

project
    Free Member
    Midnighthour
    Free Member

I went to a lecture once on adventure travels. Two blokes who I think were from Thornbury Glos (I could be mis-remembering) had bought an old bus. They did it up over several months and at a lot of cost to be a very classy mobile home. The talk was photos and info about thier tour around Europe with it and what fun they had.

By the time I had heard the talk, they had already sold it on as they felt they had ‘been there, done that’ and I believe they made a profit on the purchase and outfitting.

Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘Please put me off buying a double decker bus?’ is closed to new replies.