Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Please make the SQUEEEAAALLLL STOP!!!!
  • organic355
    Free Member

BB7’s on the crossbike/commuter.

They squeal to a point of it being embarrassing, sometimes in dry conditions I can get rid of it by breaking hard a few times, but in the wet this only last a few minutes.

Same with my elixir crs on the mtb, in the wet they sound like a strangled turkey.

Is this just Avids or do all discs do this?

Sanded and cleaned the pads and rotors on the mtb and it didnt make much difference, have yet to try it on the cross bike.

Is it worth trying different rotors?

gonzy
    Free Member

my hayes/formula set up like to have a bit of a squeal when its dry but they go silent in the wet…i dont mind this when i’m commuting on the road as it makes pedestrians more aware of me when they hear the brakes….but i know what you mean…i rode llandegla with a dead magura rear brake that would squeal horribly at the slightest of touches which was embarrassing…wjat made it worse was that i was riding minus a seatpost and saddle due to a seatclamp failure… 😳

take the wheels off and give the pads and rotors another sanding but do them in different directions i.e. pads – horizontal, rotors – vertical
    also make sure the inside of the caliper body is clean of any muck as this could be the cause…
    clean the rotor only with isopropyl alcohol or a dedicated disc cleaning solvent, but make sure you dont get any of this or any other solvent on the pads as any contamination would render them useless.

crftom
    Free Member

Check all the cone shaped washers on the brake mounts these are prone to crack when tightened and cause the brake to vibrate and squeak

wilko1999
    Free Member

Ha, I guessed what the content of this thread was going to be before opening it

My Elixir R’s were the same from brand new. In the wet it’s embarassing – everyone can tell what a mincing gaylord you are by the very audible brake squeal indicator. Searched forums, tried everything to make it stop. Eventually I found a very simple cure that has worked faultlessly ever since; swapped them for the latest SLXs

monogramman
    Free Member

When setting up avid brakes, attach the caliper without pads in then line the brake rotor up with the middle of the caliper joint and tighten. Make sure the pistons are seated and replace the pads.

You will get a tiny bit of rub to begin with but after 2 or 3 hard stops they will be fine.

worked a charm on my elixir r

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Please make the SQUEEEAAALLLL STOP!!!!’ is closed to new replies.