Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Please help with winter tyre tips. Rear only.
  • robsoctane
    Free Member

Hi All,

I’m looking for the ultimate winter tyre for my rear wheel (already chose the front). This is for my HT which is aluminium so I do need some volume rather than going skinny. So far I’ve tried WTM Motoraptor 2.4, Maxxis HR Sticky 2.35 and Conti Race 2.1. Nothing here is that good for me so far, Maxxis is too draggy, Conti too skinny (so it’s jarring).

What do you guys and girls recommend. It’s wet, slippy, rooty, sandy mess where I am… No trail centres – just real woods and hard riding.

I need grip! 😯

float
    Free Member

conti vertical. i swear by mine in the winter, even in its bog standard compound. width, 2.3 so pretty good. a little heavy and draggy compared to the xking ive got on there now but then its not a summer tyre. dead grippy and cheap as chips, you can fork out more for the black chilli version aswell if you want.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

For the sticky London Clay that abounds in Epping Forest, I’ve found Conti Survival Pros to be a Godsend. The only tyre that keeps gripping when all others just slip and slide. Dunno what the current equivalent is.

Basically, what you need is something with long, tapered widely spaced knobs. Cuts through the mud, and clears easily so they don’t get too clogged up. Narrowish (1.9″ or so) so’s you can still have decent tyre clearance when the mud clogs up the frame.

something like this really:

Oh, and if it’s ‘jarring’, then run it at a lower pressure. Less chance of pinch flats with soft muddy ground anyway. I’ve used mine at 20 psi or even lower, and kept going when others have to get off and push.

Maybe you can get something similar but a bit wider, but 2.3 and that is just going to clog up quickly leaving no clearance.

PaulD
    Free Member

Hi there,

I still have a brand new Conti Survival Pro 2.3″ wire bead in my stock.
    You can have it for £15 posted to a UK address.

I also have a Panaracer Spike 2.0″ folding bead, brand new for £20 posted, pix on request for this beauty.

More tyre than I need at Swinley and Tunnel Hill.

Mail me if interested.

paul.r.davisAThotmail.co.uk

robsoctane
    Free Member

@elf: thanks for the tip – should have mentioned the frame is my Pha5e so clearance in NOT an issue. May well go for one in 2.3 from Paul above. Any other suggestions anyone?

@float: have you ever used survivals over verticals? Anyone else?

I know experience is king… 😉

joolsburger
    Free Member

I have used verticals for a long time I recently went to the black chilli ones really grippy and pretty quick. If you have the cash maybe the Rubber Queens in a 2.4 huge and grippy.

bellys
    Free Member

Just put a set of Conti barons 2.3 on. was good at shedding the mud roll ok on Tarmac also grippy on wet grass decent.
    Got them from halfords £16 each.
    Think I might get a black chilli for the front.

mamadirt
    Free Member

Maxxis Swampthing 60a – fitted mine this week and to be honest it feels no more draggy than the very worn HR 60a it replaced. Tad narrower too (both 2.35) so better for mud clearance, although maybe a touch taller.

chiefgrooveguru

Bontrager XR4 2.2 – it’s as wide as a Maxxis 2.35 but taller, rolls ok, doesn’t clog as badly as most, wears well, progressive on the limit. Apparently designed for rocky trails but seems an ideal hard-riding all-year woodland trail tyre.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Please help with winter tyre tips. Rear only.’ is closed to new replies.