Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Please HELP! Recons have died!
  • gcaster
    Free Member

OK so I have a pair of RS Recons (351 U-Turn Coil) and they've been pretty good up until today when they've died on me.

I'm gonna take them apart when I get the chance (probably monday) so if people could suggest what to look out for that'd be good.

Basically, the problem is that the travel has just disappeared throughout the day.
    I took a pretty hard hit on some kind of stump which was when I first heard bad things starting to happen (sounded like the forks bottomed out) but I'm not sure whether I was locked out or not (don't think so though). Since then the forks had been bottoming out all day and during my final descent I was riding with only the first 45mm of travel, the forks seemed to be bottoming out on the 85mm marker! After a 10mile cycle home that's now reduced to giving me about 15mm of travel and the forks are 'bottoming out' at the 115 mark, I can't even get out of the saddle and cycle 'cos that bottoms them out.
    There's been no change in behaviour with the lock-out on or off now either.

Does anyone know what might be causing something like this? As I say I'll be taking them apart soon so some pointers about things to look out for would be good. If it's the motion control cartridge how will I know it's broken, will I just be able to tell?

Thanks
    Greg

Kojaklollipop
    Free Member

Never had this happen myself and I'm no expert, but from what you describe sounds like a broken spring to me? Maybe you're getting reduced travel as you go along as the coils are winding up inside themselves? I'd take the spring u-turn side apart first to have a look there?

robkhoo
    Free Member

It sounds like a seal has gone in the right hand leg, which is causing the damping oil to leak into the lowers, causing hydraulic lock.

gcaster
    Free Member

Think you might have hit the nail on the head there Rob!
    I've turned the bike upside down and the travel is slowly increasing. Guessing the seal has blown and now the oil is slowly leaking into the upper. Does this sound about right?
    Thanks.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I think Robkhoo is right

stumpyjon

Yep, confirms what I said in your thread on BR.

carlosg
    Free Member

£17.50 +post for the seal kit on tf tuned , replaced the same on a set of Recon's for a mate the other week exactly the same problem.

gcaster
    Free Member

What exactly is included in the Seal Kit?
    Is this enough to completely rebuild the forks and replace ALL seals? Figure I might as well give them a good do over while I'm in there!

carlosg
    Free Member

£17.50 is all the seals on the damping/motion control side.
    http://www.tftunedshox.com/Catalogue/Shop-RockShox/RockShox/RockShox-Fork-Spare-Parts

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Please HELP! Recons have died!’ is closed to new replies.