Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Please Help! Peaks route
  • chrishc777
    Free Member

I’m staying in edale and tomorrow have the opportunity to get a quick ride in from here.

I have about an hour, I don’t mind keeping a quick pace but can’t be too long, also I can’t get lost, so does anyone have a gpx for a quick good route, maybe with Jacobs ladder? My mates can drive me to a start point, or ideally shuttle me to the top of the hill and pick me up at the bottom!

I will be driving towards Swinley if there’s anything on the way.

Any help appreciated as if I don’t find a suitable route basically I can’t ride!

carlos
    Free Member

From Edale head towards Hope,
    Left onto the BW and Up, down, up Jaggers Clough to Hope Cross
    Right down the Roman Road into Hope
    Up Pindale and along Dirtrow Rake
    Down Cavedale
    Up the Broken road to Mam Tor
    Round the BW on Mam Tor and down Greenlands back to Edale.

I’ve not got a GPX but if you have a map it’s straight forward enough

Prob take you more than an hr too, so you could skip the Jaggers Clough, Roman Road bit and head straight into Hope.

Garry_Lager

An hour’s not much if you’re finding your way – maybe up to Hope Cross as carlos says, but then go straight on down the excellent rocky trail in the woods (the beast), right at the bottom to ride along the reservoir (so that it’s on your left hand side). There is then a bridleway on your right which will winch you up to the roman road, descend Hope brink to Hope, and back on the road to Edale. It will make sense on a map!

One hour that if you get your skates on.

MartynS

If you really only have an hour I’d reckon heading out of edale, go through Barbour booth and follow road. Turns into a track past a farm. Follow to bridge. Left up steep rocky bridle way. Keep goin uphill until you reach the top. There’s a Medieval cross.
    Stop. Catch breath. Drop saddle, retrace steps. Job done

Stainypants

How about getting dropped at Mam Nick. Along to Edale cross down to the village then up Jaggars clough and down the Roman road, and then either get picked up in Hope or ride back to Edale, otherwise as Martyn descibes.

twang
    Free Member

Up to Hollins cross, a good challenging climb and over the other side down to Castleton, up broken road to Mam nick and down toboggan run or traverse back to Hollins and back down the way you came, short and sweet…or what Gary Lager said.

chrishc777
    Free Member

Cheers, Martyn yours seems possible but am not clear on where I’m heading from barbour booth, the map shows loads of bridleways heading out

chrishc777
    Free Member

Garry that sounds fun but I may struggle to find the excellent rocky trail in the woods!

mintimperial

MartynS is describing riding up and back down Jacob’s Ladder. Find that on the map (WNW of the valley, grid ref SE047117-ish) and then ride up the BW to Edale Cross, come back down. For my money that’s what I’d do. Big hill, good views, can’t get lost, excellent rocky descent which even has a few corners in it. 🙂

twang
    Free Member

MartynS is describing riding pushing up Jacob’s Ladder.

Just to clarify 😀

thorlz
    Free Member

If you only have an hour and riding all the way then Twang has it for me.
    One good and one OK climb, two good descents and great views of the peak.
    May be a push to do it in an hour.

However if your lift is available then definitely go for Stainypants route.

How about getting dropped at Mam Nick. Along to Edale cross down to the village then up Jaggars clough and down the Roman road, and then either get picked up in Hope or ride back to Edale, otherwise as Martyn descibes.

That should read Hollins cross though (Edale cross is by Jacobs ladder).

I wouldn’t bother with Jacobs Ladder, not for an hour. The other options are much better in my opinion.

colournoise

Warm up on the road round to Hope.
    Up the Roman Road.
    Down the Beast – push/ride back up.
    Down Potato alley – turn right along the road and push/ride back up the Beast.
    Down-up-down Jagger’s Clough.
    Back along the road to Edale.

joat

Careful! Some people might not know where you mean.

el_boufador

I reckon you could make a good magazine feature or series out of this. E.g best ride in 1hr in various areas, or best 1hr ride in uk, lots of other variations spring quickly to mind.

ps many good suggestions above!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Lift up the Mam Tor road over the back, follow the farm track BW to the limestone way, down Cavedale, up the Broken Road out of Castleton towards Man Tor, across to Hollins Cross then back down into Edale.

About an hour is you really smash it 😉

jambalaya
    Free Member

Another vote for @mike’s route above. Cavedale is superb and broken road climb really interesting to great views from Mam Tor and Hollins cross. TBH I could not do that ride in an hour, more like 2 but I am pretty slow. If you have a mate with a car get them to drive you from Eadale to Mam Tor and join the ride there. OP you don’t have much time really and IMHO Jacobs Ladder isn’t worth it if you only have an hour.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

The route is basically this 5km to 15km, you can get a lift to the farm road at the top of the pass
    https://www.strava.com/activities/381190532
    It took me 1hr20 from the Limestone way to rejoining the edale road including a Bacon Sarnie at the top of the broken road.

thepodge
    Free Member

depends on your fitness and depends how long your hour is but i’ve done Castleton, broken road & back down cavedale in an hour from getting out of the car to getting back in.

Some of the routes above would take me well over an hour

chrishc777
    Free Member

Cheers for all the suggestions. In the end I went out at 0630 and climbed up to hope cross. I descended the beast, which was awesome, pushed back up and did the roman road. At the last gate I spotted a footpath dropping in from above so pushed up that and rode down.

Really enjoyed it and will be back for more despite somehow blowing my tyre off the rim 3 times on the road towards edale and having to walk a couple of miles.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Please Help! Peaks route’ is closed to new replies.