• This topic has 28 replies, 19 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by jeffywall-spam.
Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Please Help Me To Develop A New Product – Outdoor Adventure Sport
  • cbott
    Free Member

Hi All,

I am a final year product design student at the University Of Huddersfield trying to gather research for potential new product development within the outdoor and adventure sport industry. Mountain biking is a significant area of interest.

I would be truly grateful if any of you guys (and gals) could help me out by filling out the following survey:

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/DLV77ZS

Thanks for your time, i really appreciate it.

Chris.

wwaswas

Done. Although can you make the day/night question allow ‘both’?

ahwiles
    Free Member

done, but your survey is a little flawed.

Q2 : which sport? – we can only pick one.

Q4 : daytime or after dark? – we can’t tick ‘both’ – you wouldn’t get much done in the uk if you only went out in daytime.

or even, you wouldn’t get much moutainbiking done in England if you only went out in daytime.

aP
    Free Member

I have no idea how you’re going to make any decision from that survey as its so open ended and won’t allow multiple answers.
    Done though.

kayak23

Done.
    If I had a Dime for every poorly-worded survey… 😉

cbott
    Free Member

haha thanks chaps, will modify and sort out. trying to be very general at this stage. really appreciate you getting back with feedback etc terrible survey whatnot etc etc cheers, chris.

Drac

you wouldn’t get much moutainbiking done in England if you only went out in daytime.

Bit of an exaggeration.

Done.

cbott
    Free Member

Now changed to night, day & both. thanks for pointing this little error out! In terms of sport selection i want participants to select the one they feel they categorise themselves as or feel most strongly about. thanks again all.

ahwiles
    Free Member

Drac – Moderator

Bit of an exaggeration.

possibly, possibly not.

relying on daylight means lots of us are limited to riding only 2 days of the week for roughly 2/3rds of the year.

(only May June July and August have enough daylight to ride after work)

night riding more than triples my ‘season’ – and opens up the good stuff!

ampthill

Done but it is very open ended. I wish you well

winston
    Free Member

We don’t need any more new product development within the outdoor and adventure sport industry though……

SaxonRider

Done, but questions 6 & 7 are repeated in 8 & 9, the only difference being the box for details in question 8.

epicyclo

Look mate, if you want a new outdoor sport, there’s only one left.

Extreme Endurance 24 Hour Pogo Sticking.

This is done at the top of a 50′ telephone pole in the middle of a crocodile enclosure.

It’s a great sport. There are only champions, no runners up.

Drac

relying on daylight means lots of us are limited to riding only 2 days of the week for roughly 2/3rds of the year.

Ah fair point. I forget some people work short days and more than 4 days week. 😀

lunge

Done, odd survey though, very general and the questions are a touch leading.

tuskaloosa
    Free Member

done, all the best

cbott
    Free Member

Thankyou everyone, great to have people responding! I know how annoying it can be to fill in surveys!

It is very general at this stage and yes the outdoor and adventure market is very very saturated with lots and lots of pointless me too products, hence lots of time spent doing the relevant research to create something we all want/need that solves a problem.

As i analyse data I am sure a narrow & specific survey will be required.

24 Hour pogo sticking…. brilliant! I thought it more likely to be electric fat bike enduro

epicyclo

cbott – Member
    …24 Hour pogo sticking…. brilliant! I thought it more likely to be electric fat bike enduro

If you want something more niche, there’s tandem Pogoing. 🙂

dang100
    Free Member

Done

Please design this…

getting knee pads on over shoes. Can’t be arsed to take my shoes off but knee pads are a pain to get on over them. Strap-on knee pads that stay up and don’t wriggle down your leg would be great.

dang100
    Free Member

…also shorts that are loose enough but don’t hang loose. I’ve been thinking that day-glo enduro braces might be the way to go.

Until you get one caught on a branch wile-e-coyote style

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Mine would probably lead you to making a bivi tubledryer, as lets face it, nothing, ever, works when wet (clothes, sleeping bags, matches, anything).

Please don’t go down the safety/protection/security route, the world doesnt need another university project lightweight lock or cardboard helmet.

epicyclo

On a more serious note, take a look at foam cold weather gear.

Looks like it has potential for a wet cold climate like ours.

ninfan
    Free Member

Might be helpful, there’s a fantastic article about development of gore tex footwear on arrse (accompanied as usual over there by some irreverent humour)

firepoiboy

Done

matt_outandabout

Welcome to the forum OP, sad that the only time you use the forum is to flog stuff or ask for help with your studies.

cbott
    Free Member

Hi matt_outandabout – yes i tend to not use forums at all i am afraid, although this is by far the friendliest forum I have come across so far. I am just not keen on the whole argumentative sometimes patronising know it all bloke thing that tends to happen with people safe behind a keyboard under an anonymous name.

I have posted this on other forums – Snowboarding, Ski, Mountaineering, Climbing, Road Cycling, Outdoor Instructors, Surfing etc etc with people just giving me abuse saying how rubbish and crap the survey is and how the hell I am a university student etc…. Before my final year started in september I have been out working for the Oberalp Group, I spent 14months designing rock climbing and mountaineering equipment so I do have some relevant experience and know what i’m looking to find out, the questions are tailored to do that.

Bottom line is if you don’t want to help out or you think its rubbish or disagree with my views or questions – then don’t bother filling it out, I do not want anyone to do this who is unhappy or disagrees with what I am trying to achieve.

I am very grateful to all singletrack users and fellow riders to be able to sell kit and for your feedback on my survey.

Thanks

Chris.

ahwiles
    Free Member

dang100 – Member

…also shorts that are loose enough but don’t hang loose. I’ve been thinking that day-glo enduro braces might be the way to go.

andytherocketeer

…etc etc with people just giving me abuse saying how rubbish and crap the survey is …

every year on every forum there’ll be at least a handful of such surveys as all the students get their assignments and final year projects.
    every single survey I’ve seen is pretty much crap (to use your word), with the exception of one, which had like 2 questions on it that were so straightforward that the person responding couldn’t use any self-selecting statistical bias or try to guess what the survey setter was trying to deduce.

when I was at uni, our first stop was the library, and searching lots of academic papers.

since I’ve seen this survey here and on the ski forum, and I see myself as 50/50 skier/MTBer, should I fill it in twice?

cbott
    Free Member

Hi Andy.

It is entirely up to you, you are most welcome to fill it out again. I appreciate your input.

I have done lots and lots of reading so far, I hope to find more issues that i haven’t considered. I’m not after pages of stats or bias/unbias.. I am looking for frequent potential problems to solve through better design.

Thanks,

Chris.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Please Help Me To Develop A New Product – Outdoor Adventure Sport’ is closed to new replies.