Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Please help me buy a used car.
  • Onzadog
    Free Member

Posted a few questions on here recently around this subject when I thought I knew what I wanted. However, after having a look around, I now really don’t know what car I want.

I’d love to keep it around 6 or 7k but would stretch to 10k if I felt like I was getting a lot more car for the money.

At the moment, it’s hard to work out the mileage as it’s for a new job which is about 40 miles away. There is some working away but they’d provide accomodation for that. I hope I’ll be doing less than 20k miles a year in it for the next 2 years before we relocate.

We also don’t change cars very often (if at all). I’d like something that is going to feel as good after an extra 100000 miles as our ’98 Corolla does, so long term durability is important to us.

Really don’t care how bland or dull it is.

I would like enough room inside to stand bikes up with front wheel and seat post out. Used to be able to do this with a 2006 Focus hatch but was disappointed whern the newer Corolla and the Auris weren’t big enough.

At first, we were looking for really efficient cars but after some number crunching, realised that it’s not the biggest cost variable when you add in service intervals, tax and insurance.

So, I know it’s a lot to ask but what’s the most reliable, capacious second hand car that costs buttons and will eat miles?

geoffj

Focus C-Max or a Honda of some type

bristolbiker
    Free Member

capacious second hand car that costs buttons and will eat miles?

I think you can have two out of those three if your ‘…costs…’ means ‘…,overall, costs…’

Onzadog
    Free Member

Do Fords still feel taught at high mileage or do they feel a bit baggy? Our old Corolla feels better than my Astras used to after three years/45000.

Should I just ignore all petrol cars and focus on diesel or is it still an open race?

Onzadog
    Free Member

Any long term users of Kia or Hyundai on here? Not really something that’s been on my radar before.

bristolbiker
    Free Member

Do Fords still feel taught at high mileage or do they feel a bit baggy? Our old Corolla feels better than my Astras used to after three years/45000.

Well, I don’t know if this is representative, but currently selling an 06/74000 mile Focus and test drove an 09/8000 miler Focus and there was very little to choose between the two (call that lack of baggy-ness or lack of development on Ford’s part – yoit’s up to you! 😉

Should I just ignore all petrol cars and focus on diesel or is it still an open race?

Can you afford the ‘diesel tax’ over the length of time and mileage you own it? I wanted diesel this time, but for the extra £1000/£1500 that I’d need to pay for the same spec car, it doesn’t make much sense for my low annual milage/short ownership cycle. Will very much depend how your figures stack up though to answer this.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Are diesels more to service and maintain or is it just the initial price difference and the more expensive per litre fuel?

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Are diesels more to service and maintain or is it just the initial price difference and the more expensive per litre fuel?

At some point around the 60k-80k miles pointsyou will need to change the dual mass flywheel as well which is pretty costly, but at 20k miles per year you are in diesel territory. The break even between petrol and diesel is generally reckoned to be around 15k

Onzadog
    Free Member

Been offered a 2005 1.7 diesel astra estate with 108,000 miles on it for what seems reasonable money. Is there there still useful life in something like that?

BadlyWiredDog

Your preference for standing bikes upright seems to be a rather expensive one. Why do you need to do that and why on earth would anyone spend £10k on a car? If you dropped the thing about standing bikes upright, you could spend £3k or less and be fine.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Up right with a 60/40 split seat means three people/bikes/kit inside the car. Also, if I can get my big bike in like that then I know I can fit both evoc bike bags when packed.

You’re right though, it does seem to limit choices and drive up cost which is how we came across the astra for a fraction of the price.

Bregante

Focus C-Max or a Honda of some type

This would fit the bill nicely.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201133410439787/sort/priceasc/usedcars/price-from/6000/price-to/7000/fuel-type/diesel/model/fr-v/make/honda/postcode/m113ba/page/2/radius/200?logcode=p

I have a 6 year old one (owned since nearly new) and it is easily the best car I have ever owned. The build quality is
    outstanding.

Edit: you can even buy a funky gizmo to hold bikes upright in the back when the seats are folded down!

highclimber
    Free Member

I have a 2.0 TDCi Mondeo estate(07 plate) has done 75k bought last year for £7000 and has served me well so far. just serviced it (myself) for under £75 inc fuel and oil filter, pollen filter and air filter. I can fit three bikes and three people with kit for a weekend riding, does 50MPG without trying and pulls like a shire horse on steroids.

get one!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Please help me buy a used car.’ is closed to new replies.