Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Please help diagnose the 'CLUNK' from my rear end…..
  • marsdenman
    Free Member

OK, so, now you've stopped sniggering 😀

Intermittent THUNK / CLUNK (both technical terms, I believe..) from the rear end.
    I think (guess) it is likely freehub related as the noise has been around for a while.
    I've just stripped and lubricated the freehub (DT Swiss Onyx) which cured the squeaking and groaning (who'dve thought that rusty slime is not a good lubricant…)
    Thunky / clunky noise happens when I pedal, mostly when I 'put the power down' having freewheeled.
    Is it 'pawl / freehub body' related? – Pawls looked very slightly worn on what would be the bit that bites, body looked ok?
    Cheers
    C

big_scot_nanny

After a recent similar experience myself

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/where-is-that-cracking-coming-from

advice to swap wheels to test theory identified that is was indeed the freehub that was borked. It unfortunately required me to replace the whole **** hub, but at elast all is now smooth and wonderful.

Kev

cynic-al
    Free Member

Tough to imagine it could be much else, but you've recently serviced it? Bearings?

Trailseeker
    Free Member

Try removing & cleaning the QR & where the axle meets the frame.

organic355
    Free Member

j_me
    Free Member

Trapped hamster?

marsdenman
    Free Member

big scot – genius, totally forgot that I've already swapped the wheel out, used the Mrs' wheel when mine was protesting about running on rusty slime… No probs with the Mrs' wheel onboard = must be the wheel. As it spins alright now, without grinding etc, i'm guessing it's not a bearing issue = I'll get an order in for pawls, body and spring…..

j_me – checked the hamster, he insists it's not him so, he stays on there…

Cheers all

big_scot_nanny

Marvellous! I cannot take credit, it was the good people here who helped me out also.

*Kev sits back with warm 'play it forward' style glow*
    🙂

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Please help diagnose the 'CLUNK' from my rear end…..’ is closed to new replies.