Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • please give me your two-penneth worth on a buy-sell dilemma
  • davervan
    Free Member

Short version of the story: I bought some 2007/8 Fox F100RLC for £100 off someone on pinkbike a year ago that had some marks on the stantions. My intention was to find another set of stantions on ebay and fit them at the same time learning about fork servicing. This project never took off and I listed them for sale for £75 taking a loss but decluttering my life, see here:

original listing

The key part of this listing is this sentence: Neither seem to leak oil and both seems to work fine but I am only interested in selling these as ‘project’ / *as is* forks

I had 8-9 responses within a few hours saying that they would take them at list price. I sold them to the first person. I have now receive a complaint that there is some oil present when the forks are compressed, something I obviously failed to notice.

The buyer wishes me to pay for this to be fixed or take them back. Is this reasonable when I stated that they are ‘project’ / *as is* forks? I thought (wrongly it seems) that I would list them at well below market value to avoid problems and that the buyer would assume they would need to spend money to fix them up.

I am happy to go with the consensus here…

Tom83

I’d say the price reflects the condition of the forks. Also adding they were sold as a project should cover you. Did they pay via paypal?

sc-xc

I would say…

“piss off”

HTH

pedalhead
    Free Member

your advert looks pretty clear to me. I’d have to agree with sc-xc

hambl90
    Free Member

What did they expect for £75 ffs

Harry_the_Spider

I would use the words “jog off” and “ass pickle”.

scaredypants

If you said they had small marks/light scratch and don’t seem to leak oil then I’d expect them not to leak oil and to have only minor marks on the stanchions (I would assume that you’d investigated a little to say what you said – I wouldn’t say “frame seems to have no cracks” just because I hadn’t looked at it)

I’d be interested to know from your buyer what “some oil” actually means but could easily need new seals, couldn’t it. TBH I’d now also wonder why you were planning to replace stanchion with these minor flaws (you didn’t suggest they might need replacing on your ad)

I’d refund if I was seller, I think

davervan
    Free Member

Thanks guys – looks like the consensus is well and truly heading in one direction.

Yes the buyer did pay using paypal (not gift)

Cheers,
    Dave

smell_it
    Free Member

Whilst the sod off options looks tempting, I’d probably offer refund on return. Saves trouble and should be no trouble getting rid again, buyer sounds a dick.

davervan
    Free Member

Scaredypants – thanks for the other view. When I bought them I compressed them and didn’t see any oil. When I say “seems” its because I haven’t put them on a bike and really tested them out so I didn’t want to say definitely.

My intention to replace the stantions wasn’t part of the original ad – I am trying to give some background on why I have the forks and the assumptions I may have made while writing the ad in the first place.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Personally I’d offer to refund the £75 but not the return postage, then re-sell them with a slightly reworded advert – “slight leak” or words to that effect.
    It sounds like the buyer is trying it on but PP will side with him and then you loose the £75 and possibly the forks as well

As you already know, someone will bite your arm off at £75…..maybe £85……!

🙂

Harry_the_Spider

2 months ago I would have had them leaky or not.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

As PayPal is involved you probably have to play the “firm but fair” game. Personally I think £75 for parts / a rebuild is a fair price. Fully working for that cash is impossible. Worst case – take them back – relist them.

rs
    Free Member

i thought fox forks come from the factory like that, they are the only forks i consistently see leeking.

RichPenny
    Free Member

I think you’ve been fair in your description and the price is totally in line with a pair of forks needing work doing. Peter Poddy has a point though and you best bet may be to say “OK, I’ll have them back and put them up for sale again, for more than £75”

davervan
    Free Member

couldashouldawoulda – I don’t understand this bit:
    As PayPal is involved you probably have to play the “firm but fair” game

Given that I am not a hard-nosed salesperson at heart I have offered a refund if the buyer pays for return postage. Seems reasonable?

geoffj

PP & RP +1, life is too short.

Given that I am not a hard-nosed salesperson at heart I have offered a refund if the buyer pays for return postage. Seems reasonable?

Perfectly

Water
    Free Member

Seems like the right option, personally, I’d have done the same.

Someone else will take them off you soon enough.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

couldashouldawoulda – I don’t understand this bit:
    As PayPal is involved you probably have to play the “firm but fair” game

What I mean is that PayPal nearly always take the buyers side. Even if you think the money is in your account and the buyer complains they will – as a default position – take the money back from your bank (or paypal account if that fails).

By firm but fair I mean – you tell the buyer that is a fair price (which I’d agree with based on the ad above). If they still arent happy say – send them back to me (at your cost) and I’ll refund you. I can sell them for more to someone else.

toys19
    Free Member

if it’s a non ebay transaction then payapl only offer not recieved protection, so they will not side with the buyer.

But IMHO I would refund, just to save the aggro.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘please give me your two-penneth worth on a buy-sell dilemma’ is closed to new replies.