Viewing 40 posts - 241 through 280 (of 514 total)
  • Please explain Veganism to me . . .
  • Jamz
    Free Member

What I don’t understand is how people cannot grasp that fact that you can treat an animal well, you can love the animal; then you can kill it, butcher it and make money out of it.

As long as all this is done with love and care why is there a problem?

Junkyard
    Free Member

Its the kill part that some are uncomfortable with

HTH

dazh

I’m guessing there’s not much point in trying to explain the concept of speciesism at this point 🙂

wrecker
    Free Member

What I don’t understand is how people cannot grasp that fact that you can treat an animal well, you can love the animal; then you can kill it, butcher it and make money out of it.

I like this. Lots. 😀

AlexSimon

I think a lot of vegans would grasp it perfectly well.
    I also think that I probably wouldn’t have started down this path, if what you describe was the ‘norm’.

However, now I have gone down this path I would still remain vegan if all meat were obtained in the fashion you describe.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Junkyard – lazarus

She declares that “meat is murder” – perhaps,

I think we can all agree we kill it to eat

I had a lovely chicken curry last night that I made – one or more chickens died to create that dish. It’s pretty unpleasant to me that Chickens bread for meat only live 6-7 weeks, that’s it. All those thousands of 7 week old chickens being butchered – BUT, if they weren’t, they wouldn’t have lived in the first place – 7 weeks life, or no life – although she doesn’t see it that way – as far as she’s concerned the farmer would have raised those chickens and let them live a full and content life on the farm if only we didn’t eat them.

In humans terms you would be arguing that the infanticide of a 7 week old child is kinder than it never having been born then you have to say we killed it to eat it.
    FFS you really want to argue this

Its a terrible argument

Most farmers (in the UK at least) treat their livestock very well, yes certain animals don’t have much luck – male chicks may only live minutes, male calves born into diary herds days. But again you could argue that is caused by people trying to do the right thing – Veal crates are indeed vile, but their is such a thing as ethical veal – but publicity has made it a complete no-no for most consumers so the male calves get shot in the head when they’re a few days old, but for the animals that it’s financially worth raising for meat

So basically they dont treat them well they just try ot make money out of them No offence but you have failed to make your own point there and just made a long list of things where they dont treat them well

I am not surprised she does not respond well to your version of reason

Killing an animal isn’t murder, killing a human is sometimes murder, but not always.

So no, by any legal definition meat isn’t murder. I say “perhaps” for the sake of being tolerant to other peoples opinion, but it’s factually incorrect to call it murder.

It’s also not infanticide, whilst a 7 week old human is a baby, a 7 week old Chicken is not a chick. We shouldn’t humanise animals, they are not humans.

I personally think it’s a perfectly valid argument – it’s a chicken, not a human – we are the dominant species. Humans have always eaten other animals, even before Humans evolved our genetic forefathers were omnivores – given how many humans are alive today it would be unethical to source our meat from ‘the wild’ species would be hunted to extinction and hunting and killing animals is far less humane for the animal.

Cows, Chickens, Pigs and the less common domesticated livestock today exist, because Humans created them and whilst it’s not a deal that they had any part in, animals don’t have emotions like humans do – they exist to reproduce and ensure the continuation of the species – domesticated livestock species will continue as long as we keep consuming them so their goal is aligned with ours.

enfht
    Free Member

Ital is vital (Yes you know that I’m a farmer)

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9Cmt8E1NYI&sns=em[/video]))

Junkyard
    Free Member

for the sake of being tolerant to other peoples opinion,

that was clearly what your post was all about you really have to be taking the piss here

It’s also not infanticide, whilst a 7 week old human is a baby, a 7 week old Chicken is not a chick. We shouldn’t humanise animals, they are not humans.

Are you being deliberately thick here?
    I never said that I simply pointed out that if i did this with a child you think it is kinder than not having the child at all as they got the 7 weeks of life before i kill them . Very few, if any, would think what I did kinder than not having a child. Your argument is crap.

As for the rest you have just got to be trolling – their goals align with ours 😆

Jamz
    Free Member

Okay so following on from the comments on the previous page… I’m thinking that vegans who agree, in principle, with what I said (i.e. reasonable people) would do more good for condition, and in fact the public perception of farming for meat, if they were to only eat meat from animals that had been loved/cared for properly.

This would mean that instead of being marginalised, misunderstood and generally looked upon as having a bit of a screw loose they would be seen as normal people, but principled and who care deeply for animal welfare i.e. the sort of people that one might hold in high regard and look up to.

It strikes me that veganism is too extreme, too detached from the norm, to garner the respect of those who maybe need a little help to see the error of their ways. More good would be done if they campaigned for greater access to (or even just bought into) high welfare meat and the abolition of intensive farming. As it is I can’t see what good being vegan is doing for all the animals that are still suffering.

Junkyard
    Free Member

LOL so reasonable people agree with you and vegans should campaign for a nicer way to kill animals 😕 that is like arguing that those opposed to the death penalty are better off arguing for a kinder method of it being carried out.

TBH I dont want anyones respect and I am not trying to persuade anyone to do anything eta what you like it has **** all to do with me.

Hopefully this statement will help me on the road to rehabilitation where someone like you, and I really do care what you think of me, wont see me as an extremist with a screw loose

TBH these threads always end up like this where it hard to tell whether folk are just trolling or they really are this dense.

mitsumonkey
    Free Member

Well thanks for that, apart from a few helpful posts the majority of posts have been a flaming argument.
    I only asked what Veganism was not for you lot to start a bloody row!

And if anyone says “this is STW what do you expect?” I’ll make sausages from them!!!

Cougar

Jamz > And you’re also assuming everyone is vegan for exactly the same reasons, which is fallacious.

There are some who want to change the world, and for some of them you may be right. Some view that eating meat / dairy is still taking advantage of animals for our benefit; as an analogy, would slavery be ok if the slaves were well kept, looked after, loved and happy? And some simply don’t want to eat meat etc because they’re uncomfortable with consuming animal products.

There’s a logic to what you’re saying, but I’m afraid it’s just not that simple.

nostoc
    Free Member

“Veganism is a way of living which seeks to exclude, as far as is possible and practicable, all forms of exploitation of, and cruelty to, animals for food, clothing or any other purpose.”

mitsumonkey
    Free Member

Thanks Nostoc, end of thread.

m360
    Free Member

I only asked what Veganism was not for you lot to start a bloody row!

You’d have been better off asking Jeeves then, not STW.

dazh

I’m thinking that vegans who agree, in principle, with what I said (i.e. reasonable people) would do more good for condition, and in fact the public perception of farming for meat, if they were to only eat meat from animals that had been loved/cared for properly.

I’m going to get flamed here…

You’re missing the point. Many vegans, not all, maybe not even a majority of them, fundamentally believe that the ethics of whether or not to inflict suffering, pain and death on an animal should not be determined by it’s membership of a specific species, but instead on it’s ability to suffer pain and stress. It may be a logical leap too far for many, but if you take the species aspect out of it, and accept that non-human animals can feel pain, suffering, and stress, then the justification for inflicting that does not exist from an ethical point of view. That’s why many vegans will not accept that it’s ok to kill an animal for human consumption no matter how well it is treated, as they believe that human and non-human rights are equivalent.

molgrips
    Free Member

inflict suffering, pain and death on an animal

Well most people, vegan or otherwise, would not want to inflict the first two – steps should be taken to minimise that at all times. This is why I buy free range grass fed everything, incidentally.

A happy animal that lives a safe fulfilling existence right up until it’s instantly stunned and killed – does it actually suffer?

dazh

A happy animal that lives a safe fulfilling existence right up until it’s instantly stunned and killed – does it actually suffer?

Yes and if you follow the speciesist logic you’d ask why the same doesn’t apply to humans. The philosophical and ethical side of this is quite interesting. The classic thought experiment often cited is that using this logic, if a superior alien species were to come and start farming humans for meat, would we as a species simply accept our part in the natural order, or would we think it unethical?

nickc

A happy animal that lives a safe fulfilling existence right up until it’s instantly stunned and killed

Is the ethical and moral problem for most of us (veggie/vegans). I differ to dazh the alien issues is the relevant argument.

Junkyard
    Free Member

A somewhat leading question about a happy and fulfilled life

then again imho a happy and fulfilled lives does not end your death in an abattoir and your carcass being eaten.

Daz its wasted explaining tbh and a vegan cannot eat meat even the ones that were happy right up to the point we killed it to eat it.
    as fr the aliens I believe we should be thankful for what they do for us as those 7 weeks of life will be blissful and without them we would potentially be extinct and wishing them to stop is far crueler. I dont like the species arguments personally. Its just cruel to kill things that can feel pain and suffer no matter how stupid they are.

molly you cannot rear and slaughter in a nice way though you can do it in a less bad way. If buying happy cows is enough for you then that is your choice

dazh

I dont like the species arguments personally.

From a philosophical viewpoint I’d say they’re logically consistent, but not a very effective way of getting the message across. The idea is just too off the wall for many to accept or understand. Try explaining to people that it’s potentially more ethical to do medical experiments on newborn babies than adult chimpanzees and you’re probably onto a loser 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

then again imho a happy and fulfilled lives does not end your death in an abattoir and your carcass being eaten.

How does being eaten after death affect your life?

Yes and if you follow the speciesist logic you’d ask why the same doesn’t apply to humans

Well the thing about humans is that they get very upset when people they know get killed. How much does that apply to other species?

Its just cruel to kill things that can feel pain

But there IS such a thing as a painless death, even for a human. If someone came up behind me and shot me in the back of the head, I’d be none the wiser.

Junkyard
    Free Member

How does being eaten after death affect your life?

Your life is ended early so you can be eaten.
    If I kill you tonight so I can eat you do you think this might impact on your life and happiness
    Really Molly ?

How much does that apply to other species?

Plenty of animals look and act distressed when a herd member dies, How much we wish to anthropomorphize will depend
    SHeep spend about a week bleating for their lambs

here IS such a thing as a painless death,

But not a cruelty free version seeing as someone is killing someone
    Again Molly WTF

hilldodger
    Free Member

There are many forms of human cruelty, the one that ends up with meat in my pan doesn’t bother me that much, in fact hardly at all.
    And yes, if allowed I would raise, slaughter, butcher and eat it myself.

Cougar

Good.

Why aren’t you allowed?

Jamz
    Free Member

@ Junkyard, with regard to your earlier reply so my second post, please have a look at the replies of Cougar and dazh – this is how adults conduct a fruitful discussion – no need to swearing, self indulgent babble or calling other people ‘dense’.

I suppose I was assuming that all vegan’s would have the animals best interests at heart. I stand by the point that only eating higher welfare meat and setting an example for other people to follow is a better way of improving the quality of life of farm animals.

But, as Cougar and dazh have pointed out, the issue goes deeper than that. So we’re basically saying that vegans are not comfortable with humans taking advantage of animals in any way. This notion of enslaving the animals is one that I had not considered.

Interesting… so would a vegan ever keep a pet dog?

Surely stress, pain and death are all a natural part of life? They’re gonna catch up with us all at some point. And with regard the alien example – the animals are not conscious of the fact they’re being farmed, so to them all is well. I’m failing to see how you draw parallels there. Obviously if I was living with the knowledge of my impending death, that would not make for a very good quality of life, but the animal is not conscious.

hilldodger
    Free Member

Although you don’t need to be licensed to slaughter your own animals for personal consumption, you do need to comply with local food hygiene regulations. The cost of compliance makes it unfeasible for very small scale husbandry, so I stick to a bit of wild rabbit and game these days.

Junkyard
    Free Member

@ Junkyard, with regard to your earlier reply so my second post, please have a look at the replies of Cougar and dazh – this is how adults conduct a fruitful discussion – no need to swearing, self indulgent babble or calling other people ‘dense’.

With regard to that post look at the language you used in your post where a vegan had a screw loose and was not normal etc before lecturing me . I was as respectful to your inane babble as it was to vegans.

so would a vegan ever keep a pet dog?

They would not eat it. No offence but why are you even asking this question? Do you really not know the answer?

konabunny
    Free Member

Although you don’t need to be licensed to slaughter your own animals for personal consumption, you do need to comply with local food hygiene regulations.

Really? That seems odd. There’s nothing to stop me treating my shop bought meat in an entirely unhygienic way.

dazh

Interesting… so would a vegan ever keep a pet dog?

You won’t be surprised to know that many vegans have ‘companion’ animals. This isn’t surprising as many are also animal lovers. Personally I’m not that fussed by animals, but in our (mostly vegan) house we have 4 rescue cats, which are neutered/spayed and have bells on them in an attempt at stopping them killing other animals (not always successful sadly). Other vegans I know have rescue animals, but like me are completely opposed to pet breeders, pet shops and other elements of the pet industry. In an ideal world we wouldn’t have pets but there are lots of domesticated animals who need homes. The important bit is to stop them breeding in an attempt to stop more of them being dumped or mistreated by irresponsible owners/keepers. Having said that I’m not opposed to companion domesticated animals on principle. The reality is that even if everyone turned vegan tomorrow, domestic animals are here to stay. The key thing is that they are allowed to live out their natural lives without exploitation or cruelty.

the animals are not conscious of the fact they’re being farmed, so to them all is well.

Is that not an assumption you’ve made? There’s a fair amount of evidence that animals are psychologically stressed by farming practices. Not least by their offspring being removed from them prematurely. They may not understand that they are being exploited, but again if you follow the speciesism logic, would an infant human child? (I’m not particularly advocating the speciesism stuff BTW, just raising it as another thing to consider)

molgrips
    Free Member

If I kill you tonight so I can eat you do you think this might impact on your life and happiness

My happiness or otherwise ceases to become a valid concept once I’m dead. Death is pretty meaningless to me (as a conscious entity); knowledge of death is the problem.

There’s a fair amount of evidence that animals are psychologically stressed by farming practices.

Depends on the farming practice. Lambs are slaughtered at 1 year, aren’t they – is that not adolescence for sheep? Isn’t it the point at which they’d be leaving anyway?

hilldodger
    Free Member

Really? That seems odd.

Covers stuff like disposal of carcass, containment of blood/body fluids, potential contamination of land/water etc.
    In a semi urban area where I now live I’d get away with scragging a few chickens now and then, but something like a small ruminant carcass would be a bit OTT for the green bin

Junkyard
    Free Member

Molly its not really controversial to say things dont want to die and being killed makes them less happy then when they were not killed.

Its 6- 8 months for lambs

As for leaving herd animals dont to leave and not when they are fenced into a field

enfht
    Free Member

Dazh apologies if this has already been covered but do you see any issue feeding animal protein to your cats?

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

This is why I buy free range grass fed everything, incidentally.

Being grass fed and free range would assumedly include sheep?

I’ve worked on farms producing ‘high-end’ lamb – (destination: undisclosed supermarket chain). The sheep are happy in the fields for the most part. They are also transported regularly in trailers, they slip in panic, they can get cut up badly, in thetrailers, yards and pens they often shit massively in fear, liquid, not like the stuff they do in the field, and then slip in that too. Same in the crushes where they get checked and medicated, tailed, etc. Have seen a few get suffocated, and farmers kicking some hard (in the face/head) should they poke a head out underneath the run.

Not saying this is typical, but it was my experience. Made me feel sick. Sheep get confused in panic, overworked stressed-out farmers can lash out or at least cut corners refarding welfare. Mileages vary etc.

I find it difficult to buy and enjoy lamb since.

molgrips
    Free Member

Molly its not really controversial to say things dont want to die and being killed makes them less happy then when they were not killed.

Might not be controversial but it’s not very philosophically astute, or even correct.

andytherocketeer

Its 6- 8 months for lambs

and the rest. but they’ll be the youngest.
    don’t recall lamb being a seasonal autumn product.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Might not be controversial but it’s not very philosophically astute, or even correct.

Ok then my mistake death in no way affects your happiness level.

@ andy that is from this thread- info graphic
    From experience i reckon its three months

Just googled and we are way off

A lamb is a sheep that is under one year old, and is known for its delicate flavour and tender flesh. Young lamb is slaughtered between 6 and 8 weeks – it is the palest of all lamb. Spring (also called early or summer lamb) is 3 to 5 months old.

BBC

dazh

Dazh apologies if this has already been covered but do you see any issue feeding animal protein to your cats?

Yup. It’s a total contradiction and one I cannot square. I’d rather not have the cats myself but we were doing some mates a favour in taking them on as we had more space. We’ve tried veggie cat food. Unsurprisingly they’re not interested. Dogs are easier from this point of view, they’ll happily eat veggie dog food.

andytherocketeer

the meat is not seasonal, but lambing most certainly is.
    and it’s not called or sold as mutton until 2 years old.
    from 6 months or so, I’ll believe. but most definitely not all (which is what that seemed to hint at)

Viewing 40 posts - 241 through 280 (of 514 total)

The topic ‘Please explain Veganism to me . . .’ is closed to new replies.