Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Please check my chain/Derailleur length calculations
  • organic355
    Free Member

If I have a 22-32-44 chainset and I have a medium cage rear Derailleur with a max capacity of 34T and a minimum of 11T I am OK as long as I dont shift like a plank and go BIG-BIG arent I?

BIG front : SMALL rear = 44-11 = 33 = OK
    BIG Front ; BIG Rear = 44-34 = 10 = SNAP?

Any others that will cause me trouble or just the BIG:BIG combo?

jam-bo

calculations?

suck it and see…

organic355
    Free Member

calculations?

suck it and see…

If I am going to be spending £140 ish on a new SRAM X.0 thats an expensive experiment that I am not willing to try!!!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

dont thye usualy perscribe a range, so if its 45 (for example)

44-22 = 22
    34-11 = 23

22+32 = 45 so it would be ok.

The capacity you've quoted is just the cassette size it can handle (i.e. wont go over 34t or cant get close enough to go lower than 11t).

Run the chain arround the big ring and sprocket, with the suspension at full compression (remove the shock) and add one full link (an inner and an outer) and voila, no chance of snapping the chain. If it flaps arround a bit too much at that remove a link at a time untill a comprimise is reached, but don't go big-big.

Speshpaul

"If I am going to be spending £140 ish on a new SRAM X.0 thats an expensive experiment that I am not willing to try!!! "

I know what you mean but if its wrong it will probably pull the mech hanger off (forwards).

"Run the chain arround the big ring and sprocket, with the suspension at full compression (remove the shock) and add one full link (an inner and an outer) and voila, no chance of snapping the chain. If it flaps arround a bit too much at that remove a link at a time untill a comprimise is reached, but don't go big-big. "

Is the way to go.

organic355
    Free Member

I should have said its for a hard tail. I am not too worried about snapping the chain more the Derailleur so it should be ok if I just get the right chain length.

Going by the above figure of 45 then I dont think the medium is sufficient or is it ok as long as i dont go big:big?

The spec of the SRAm X.0 is as follows:

Chain capacity: 45T long / 37T Med / 30T Short
    Max Sprocket: 34T
    Min Sprocket 11T

rootes1

wrap chain around big big but not through mech see were chain ends meet – add two links to that.. should be right..

you can always check by marking (bib-big + 2 links) the chain and then doing the same but with the mech and seeing what sort of of angle the rear mech is at before shortening it.. – particurly as sram chain are a pain if you cut them too short.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Please check my chain/Derailleur length calculations’ is closed to new replies.