Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Please can I have your help with ski lengths?
  • neilc1881
    Free Member

Evening skiers,
    We’ve recently been doing a spot of skiing at the new Welsh resort of the Alpe du Aber, only trouble is it’s on borrowed skis and we only have one pair between us so I’ve been on the lookout for some more. Luckily the snow has now gone so prices have dropped a touch (found a pair for £10 locally 😉 ). I was wondering if there were any ski types on here who could advise on ski lengths on a pair of skis from the 1990s, I’m 6′ and the skis in question must be around 6’4. Are they going to be harder to turn than a bull in an alley? The ones we’ve been using are probably around the 5’9″ mark.

What ski length would be recommended? I’m likely to be doing a bit of up as well as down if I can get out somewhere more exotic to do some ski mountaineering again. All I need now is some proper touring bindings…

Quad uplift by neil.d.cox, on Flickr

On the top field by neil.d.cox, on Flickr

And yes, the poles are too long, flippin’ Nordic XC ones, beggars can’t be choosers.

Heading for the steep field by neil.d.cox, on Flickr

ScotlandTheScared

hmm – well things have changed with skis since the 90’s! Back then, if you were an expert skier and were 6′ tall then you would ski on a ski length of on or over 2 meters (there will be a length indicated on your skis somewhere!). Longer generally means faster but harder to turn. For a beginner, I would have been starting you out on skis that came up to around your chin if you stand next to them. And nowadays, with fatter, but more turnable skis, you would probably not be skiing anything much higher up than your nose.

So your second set of skis sound somewhat too long so they are likely to be a lot harder to turn or control than your first pair. However, if you got them for £10 then give them a go – nothing to lose – just make sure you set the binding tensions to a low number otherwise with a long ski and beginners technique you will end up ripping your knees apart…

Enjoy!

neilc1881
    Free Member

Thanks for the length advice. I was aware of (but none the wiser about) the changes in recent years, though I’ve done all of my skiing on skis a friend found in a skip (and they had touring bindings on already!) Did a fair bit of ski mountaineering in the Alps a few years back on them. I think they were about the same length but almost completely straight on the edges, these ‘new’ ones are curved and do look a little more modern!

Neil

Bunnyhop

Yay! That looks great fun.

For more info. Try snowheads.com.

johnny

From what you say about the curve on the new ones, I’d presume they are early carvers- a bit wider at the ends than they are under the foot/binding? With these you will find that anything longer than you are tall will be a pig to turn- and as the years have progressed, then the ‘curve’ of skis has got more pronounced, and they’ve got shorter. I have a pair of 1992 K2 carvers at 188cm, and I’m 6″. They are still shit hot on a smooth compacted piste, and fun enough on a local field!
    I’d totally agree about the bindings thoug, set them nice and low, and the falls will still be comedy. I should say though, that the fit of your boots is probably far more critical. If your heel has any lateral movement it will not help at all.
    Hope this helps.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Please can I have your help with ski lengths?’ is closed to new replies.