Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • play in Truvativ crank
  • retro83
    Free Member

I've got a Truvativ Firex crank with the shitty Giga X-pipe system.

It's a new BB and it's got the right number of spacers (none) for the width of the frame.

Problem is that there is play on the drive side.

I've done the bolt up monster tight, using a seatpost on the allen key but it still doesn't remove the play.

Any ideas what can be done? This BB has less than 50 miles on it. 🙁

These giga x-pipe bbs seem to be the worst of a mediocre bunch

bassspine
    Free Member

These giga x-pipe bbs seem to be the worst of a mediocre bunch

firex + gigapipe = hours of hassle.

Is it the retail one or a custom one with the bike? My enduro had a non-standard axle length so it needed a spacer when it shouldn't have in theory, not helped by the chain device being about 2/3 of the thickness of a spacer

rs
    Free Member

sell and buy shimano, its the only way to permanently cure the problem 🙂

Dancake
    Free Member

Truvative bumph says to grease the spline and try again 47-55 NM or something; maybe they assume a bit of grease will aid the crank going onto the spline further. (sounds like a load of arse to me)

Said this before, but just rebuilt my Meta and instead of spending 25 quid on a BB, bought a New Deore chainset (Hollowtech 2) for £49 which is a bit more common and there are aftermarket bits for it. You might be able to sell your New BB on?

deore chainset with bb included http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/mountain-bike-chainsets/shimano-deore-590-chainset.html

colnagokid

as above sell it and get shimano.
    I spent weeks trying to get a truvativ crankkset to tighten up and stay tight

kimbers

i swapped a truvativ dh isis crankset for a deore htII one on my dh bike and its miles miles better and standing up much better to uplift days and general abuse

retro83
    Free Member

Cheers all, that confirms my suspicions 8)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘play in Truvativ crank’ is closed to new replies.