Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Play in the BB bearings
  • carlos
    Free Member

Ok then, firstly I think I know the answer to this already but thought I’d just ask

So, got a bit of play in the cranks and I’m assuming its the BB bearings (Hope and only replaced in Jan 13 :?) but they are replaceable and not to much of an issue other than being £15 each. But then thought it might be wear on the axle itself as its almost 4 yrs old.

Waddya reckon?

Cheers

franksinatra

I think the obvious thing to do would be to create a website, something along the lines of http://www.hopekillchildren.com should be just the ticket and entirely in proportion to your complaint.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

hmmm carlos you should’nt have worn the bearings out since jan, no chance! mine lasted 3 years with only a clean every so often and exactly the same type of riding terrain as you

i have had this before though mate, it ended up being just where the cranks hadnt been tightened up properly, id seriously take the cranks out completely, make sure you do them tight up and make sure the N/D side crank arm is pushed totally in, as sometime is that crank arm isnt totally flush it can create a play type feeling, ohhh and also the black preload plastic screw thing to, make sure its nipped up (but not to tight)

i would be seriously seriously surprised if its the bearings on a hope BB

carlos
    Free Member

Who’s complaining frank?

Dave – (waves) Thought about all that and have already done what you suggest but its still there hence the question about wear on the axle. I’ll have another go later, either way I’ll be out tomorrow.

franksinatra

Who’s complaining frank?

I was being ironic.

Northwind

What he said!

Only other thing, is that because the Hope bearings run directly on the crank spindle, if they seize then it can damage the cranks- so it’s a bit more likely to be crank wear than with other BBs (and that combines quite neatly with people expecting the bearings to last forever as they’re so expensive 😉 ) But it’s still not the likely cause.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

Hmmmm im not sure if then, maybe axle wear but again a long shot, cant see it being the bearings myself after that many months, but just take the plastic seal off the outer bearing and give the bearings a direct cleaning (do mine about once every 6 months, maybe a bit more in winter), plus if you spin your finger inside the bearing you will feel if they are rough/smooth, ive had rough bearings before on mine (i finally replaced them in ~june time after 4 years of constant spinning), and they never made play in the cranks TBH, they just felt a bit rough by finger running around the bearing, the only time ive ever had play was when rushing fitting cranks back together and didnt tighten/make sure everything was sitting flush/correctly, though i rectified it out on the trails as i knew it couldnt be the bearings

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Play in the BB bearings’ is closed to new replies.