Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Play in my rear wheel…
  • thenorthernsmoothie
    Free Member

When I apply the rear brake and move the bike (staionary) the rear wheel has quite a bit of play. The movement is about the same as if I applied the front brake with a loose headset.

I'm thinking that the cones are loose in the rear wheel? Any ideas as to what it might be and how I can fix it?

Cheers, TNS 🙂

Coyote
    Free Member

Sounds like it's service time. There are plenty sites that will give you detailed instructions. Google Sheldon Brown and Park Tools. It is a bit of a black art and can be fiddly but is ultimately satisfying when you get it done.

doug_basqueMTB.com

If it's the cones you should feel the play side to side in the wheel. It's dead easy to tighten up but will take a few time to get the feel for what's tight enough and can be a bit frustrating until you get that.

What sort of hub is it?

coatesy
    Free Member

are we talking side-to-side play, or rotational play(as i've read)? if it's rotational then you may have loose rotor bolts or loose fitting pads in your caliper(which may be loose itself).If it's sideways then it could be loose QR, loose cones or possibly a loose freehub-body fixing bolt.
    Park tools website is worth a check for instructions.

Bream
    Free Member

Just to add on from coatesy, side to side play could also include loose spokes or rear end flex depending on the frame etc..

More info required 😀

thenorthernsmoothie
    Free Member

What sort of hub is it?

Its a hope xc hub and its been on the wheel unserviced for several years.

Coatesy – The play in the wheel is rotational so that would rule out the cones.

Off out to check the rotor and caliper now 🙂

coatesy
    Free Member

Cartridge bearings also rule out the cones too:)

Olly
    Free Member

sounds more like a loose rotor/calliper to me.
    never known rotational play in a cart bearing hub.
    if the rotor and caliper are both ok, try it with the brake on hard, it may be the pad slipping in the caliper?

lunge

If is has adjustable/sliding dropouts if could be that theey are loose.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Play in my rear wheel…’ is closed to new replies.