Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Play in front wheel problem
  • GiantJaunt
    Free Member

I have Pikes with Maxle but my front wheel moves a little even with the Maxle done up really tight. I don’t think it’s a problem with the maxle as it’s done up tight but when I take the wheel off there’s a bit of play in the two cone things that stick out each side of the hub. I suspect it’s my bearings.

How can I remove these cones to check the bearings and possibly tighten things up? If it’s not too difficult to check I’d rather do that than take it to a shop plus it’s more fun.

Thanks.

Drac

Sounds like it’s your bearings, what hub do you have?

That said you do get a little tiny amount of play anyway with maxles and a 20mm bolt through has some play when not bolted to the forks, it’s only slight though.

GiantJaunt
    Free Member

Bump.

warton
    Free Member

try and tighten up the cones

GiantJaunt
    Free Member

OK thanks. It’s a Specialized hub. I’ve just tried the maxle in the wheel on it’s own and in the forks on it’s own and there’s no play like that. Only when the whole lot is assembled is there play in it. Do the end parts (cones?) on the hub pull off with pliers? Will I need to replace these parts too?

kaesae
    Free Member

I just went through to my workshop and looked at a specialized stout hub, it seems to be just a cone and loose bearings set up, remove the rubber cap/seal and you’ll see the individual components undeneath.

You’ll need 2x 17mm cone spanners if it’s a stout hub, if you tighten it up and the bearings feel gritty you might need to replace them.

Good luck.

GiantJaunt
    Free Member

kaesae

Is your stout hub a maxle one like mine? I can’t see any rubber seals just 2 spacer things, one sticking out each side.

hainman
    Free Member

i had the same problem last week on shimano hubs.tightened the cones and the lock nuts and no more play in the wheels.might need to get some tools and have a good rumage about to see if the bearings are shot,,,,

GiantJaunt
    Free Member

hainman

Was it a maxle compatible hub? How did you tighten them up?

hainman
    Free Member

not to sure if its maxle comp but i used one of those old bike spanners you used to get years ago and tightend the cones then just tightened the lock nuts..feels alot more secure….

seanodav
    Free Member

The hub giantgaunt is on about is not accesible with cone spanners afaik.
    Mate had same prob with his not long ago and couldnt get into hub, its a bit like the pro 2 hub except the spacers dont appear to be held in with them metal clips.
    He asked on here also and got no replies, just a reply from someone who was also struggling.
    He took his to lbs in the end

shortcut

Is it the standard Hub on a spesh Pitch?

If so get hold of Peter Posdy on here. He will know!

kaesae
    Free Member

GiantJaunt – Member

kaesae

Is your stout hub a maxle one like mine? I can’t see any rubber seals just 2 spacer things, one sticking out each side.

Sorry, my brain is fried from modifying ebay listing and tax returns, if it’s a through axle it will have cartridge bearings, more likely than not.

You will need to get the caps out of the way then replace the bearings, normally 20mm through axles will run either 6804 or 6805 2rs.

I will got ask peterpoddy, if he has any knowledge of this hub, then I need to get back to work, I need beer!

Drac
    seanodav
    Free Member

Thats handy to know drac! so it seems you just have to lever them out then

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Kael pointed me to this thread…. 🙂

Is it the standard Hub on a spesh Pitch?

If so get hold of Peter Posdy on here. He will know!

Err. Ummm. Not really! 🙂

I do have a Pitch, but the standard wheels went looooong ago and I’ve got Lyriks and a Pro 2 on it now. I do however recall what the Spesh hub looked like.

The two ‘cones’ you can see sticking out from the hub are the 20mm adaptors, like on a Hope Pro 2. Hope adaptors are secured with a small clip and it’s very easy to pop them off, then knock out the cartridge bearings underneath them to replace

The Spesh hub seems to have the adaptors fitted in some way they it’s not obvious how to get them off. I’m guesing there’s cartridge bearings underneath them like a Pro 2, which are the likely the source of play. Don’t ask me how it comes apart! Me? I’d go to my local Spesh dealer and ask them to tell me!

One last thing, the ‘adaptors/cones’ are always a bit loose. They should be. They tighten down when you lock the Maxle, so don’t worry about that

Let us know if you find how it comes apart, someone MUST know! 🙂

8ball
    Free Member

Snap, exact same problem with exact same bike I think. Did you ever find a solution or just chalk it up as a specialized fail and buy a new front wheel?

8ball
    Free Member

I took it to my LBS and they had no problem getting the covers off and replacing the bearings. I think they just pulled on them really hard. They charged me £11.50 for labour and the bearings cost £14.

The receipt says they bearings were bontrager HUB32414729 and the hub was a specialized Hi lo disc with a 20 mm maxle. They also told me that doing the maxle up too tight makes them go prematurely, and that this is the most common cause they see.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Play in front wheel problem’ is closed to new replies.