Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Play in cranks
  • colournoise

Hope BB, Raceface cranks. Replaced the bearings yesterday with genuine Hope ones as I could see a little play in them after two years on the bike.

Everything fitted correctly and torqued up. Still got a small amount of play in the cranks (maybe 2mm). Can’t work out why.

Any ideas?

lerk
    Free Member

What sort of play???

Either a spacer or preload wrong, or you’ve borked the crank axle by running it in a seized bearing…

frogstomp

Is the play up and down or side to side?

torqued up

Unless they’ve changed them, RF cranks are done up until they bottom out – not to a particular torque value. This might explain if the play is side to side..

Oh, and did you put the BB spacers back the same?

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Is it side to side play (whole chainset assembly moves “through” the bottom bracket) or a wobble if you tug on either arm?

RF need (or used to) loads of different shims and spacers including a small reddish one on the axle to get exact width right so they can bottom out with no free play.

If its a wobble and assuming youve assembled everything correctly as frogstomp says, its possible the splines have worn. I replaced my BB due to wobbly crank syndrome (RF Evolve XC), do find it was the crank itself-the splines had worn so the cranks were junk.

richiethesilverfish
    Free Member

Have you been running it with a seized Hope BB?
    If so this could be the cause of the play.
    RF BB’s have a plastic shim that runs between the bearing and the axle, if the bearing seizes the plastic wears. Hope BB bearings run straight on the axle (metal on metal) so if they seize they can wear the axle in some cases.

Alternatively, as mentioned above, make sure you have all the spacers in place (instructions come with the BB and are online) and ensure the crank is done up tight on the splines.

2mm when talking about play on cranks is actually a huge amount so it sounds like there’s something quite major out of place.

JoeG
    Free Member
    colournoise

Whole assembly wobbles. The BB wasn’t seized (bearings were actually in pretty good nick when I took them out.

Only had one spacer (on drive side), so sounds like that might be the issue. Will download the instructions etc. and have a look.

Thanks.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Play in cranks’ is closed to new replies.