Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • plated collarbone. Airport issues?
  • M1llh0use
    Free Member

what are the implications of flying now that i’m going to be part metal mickey on a permenant basis?
    do i need to get some paperwork to explain the metalwork?
    will the thingy go BING in the airport when i go through?

wwaswas

you should be ok – my hip bolts never set anything off.

if the worst comes to the worst they can just scan your shoudler to see that the metal’s internal.

SaxonRider

I went through security at a government building the other day with a plate on my collar bone, and it didn’t set anything off.

I was quite disappointed, actually.

uplink
    Free Member

They have 100’s of people going through every day with surgical mecanno in them

Joe

Nope. It won’t. Sorry to disappoint you.

Mark_K

I was lead to believe that plates,bolts ect shouldn’t set of normal scanners but may set off hand held scanners! The hospital gave me a document explaining what where and why I had a load of scrap in my shoulder!

geetee1972
    Free Member

How funny, thought I was the only sad git to feel disappointed that the metalwork doesn’t ever set the alarms off!

Milky
    Free Member

I spent hours trying to magnetize mine while I was mending from the surgery. I wanted to be able to stick my door key to it when I went out. That doesn’t work either.

jackal
    Free Member

Yep as above, it shouldnt set them off. The rods and screws in my back never have done as yet, the doc did say it ‘may’ set certain ones off tho. They still wouldn’t give me a letter or anything to prove this tho if I did get stopped.
    Th funny thing is, a pal at work’s missus has some metal work in her leg and he says that it goes off regular when they fly, strange eh??

Lucas
    Free Member

I’ve got some metal in knee and fly about 1-2 times a month on average. It’s never set off the big walk through scanners (my belt always did that) it does set off the small hand held ones but you just tell them you have metal in there or show them the scar. Most of the time they don’t care as I think the knee is not the best place to hide something bad.

Steelsreal

just collected some bars screws and a cage in my back and was wondering about this….

what about shop security things, are they magnetic?

M1llh0use
    Free Member

cheers guys, mind at ease….

tonyg2003

I catch at least a flight a week and very few scanners are set off by my collarbone plate. The Heathrow scanners in T5 are one of the few.

Lucas is right – only the small hand held scanners are set off by the plate and this has caused very few questions. Just one difficult to explain question in China last month in 18months of having it.

You are dissapointingly normal for scanners!

trail_rat
    Free Member

im sure the full on xray machines at george bush intercontinental would pick it up – they caught the waist popper in my zymes – and attached key loop in the pocket and the guy wasnt very happy at me wearing them – get a grip

wwaswas

It always made me think that as long as I wrap any handgun I want to take through a metal detector in a couple of bits of steak I’d be fine?

Zoolander
    Free Member

Millhouse – With an ugly mug like yours they probably won’t let you back in the country anyhow.

Flaperon

I go through a metal detector 4-5 times a week and despite having most of B&Q in my right arm very rarely set it off. It does show up if they use their handheld wavy thing, but then again my metal plate is NHS-grade stainless steel and will turn on an induction hob if held closely…

Most of the time when you set off one of the security arches it’s nothing metal, but because the machine singles out xx% of people who go through it for further screening.

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

Also it turns out that magnets dont stick you either as my friends discovered when they pinned me down and attacked me with fridge magnets…

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘plated collarbone. Airport issues?’ is closed to new replies.