Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Plastic flats – what are the pros and cons over metal?
  • TrailriderJim
    Free Member

A good friend bought me some Nukeproof plastic flats for Chrimbo after picking up on my mentions of wanting to try flats. I can’t wait to try them (awaiting new Five Tens to arrive). The quality looks good, with metal pins and what seems a very stiff platform. But there’s no denying how cheap they are compared to metal equivalents. What main benefits and downsides will there be with plastic?

BoardinBob

Benefits

Super light
    No paint to wear off
    I’ve given them a pounding and they’ve been great

Downsides

None that I’ve experienced so far

FOG

I replaced mine with Saints because I thought the plastics would be inferior. Wrong the Nukes were better than the Saints!

P-Jay
    Free Member

I’ve only bought plastics since I first bought a set as an emergency pair. They’re great.

Don’t like the NP Horizon as much as the Electron, I’ve no idea why they cost more – they’re a tiny tiny bit wider, maybe, but a LOT thicker and body aside identical bar the Horizon has one less part.

Rubber_Buccaneer

Plastic isn’t as resistant to catching the pins on rocks so they can get loose. For the price though the electron evos are hard to beat.

jekkyl

I’ve had these: http://www.carboncycles.cc/?s=0&c=127&p=1770&tb=003
    £23.44 and the grip is as good as other expensive alloy ones, can’t really fault them except that the pins are steel so discolour with slight rust after being wet.

nixie

The first generation nukeproof ones had a funny shape. Second generation is much nicer. Plenty of grip and light weight. My only criticism would be I’d like a slightly bigger platform, but that might just be because my other bike has a bigger set. Bearing life is OK but not great. Not difficult to change them and last time I checked bearings were available.

timber

They don’t make that scrapey noise when leaning the bike against the house.

And all that BoardinBob said.

fourbanger
    Free Member

can’t anodise plastic.

Rubber_Buccaneer

can’t anodise plastic.

Oh yes, plastic is coloured so no tatty worn anodising 🙂

mcnultycop

Put some of the Nukeproof on my fatbike and they feel as good as the Superstar/Exotic alloy flats. Faultless to date.

jaylittle
    Free Member

I have nukeproof pedals on both my bikes. Just replaced the pins on one set, been very happy with them. Rock strikes would take the paint of my previous DMR’s… the electrons seem to hold up well.

JoeG
    Free Member

One of the benefits is that the plastic body doesn’t damage the surface of skateparks/bikeparks. Metal pedals can leave gouges, which is frowned upon. Lots of park type BMXers run the cheap plastic pedals for this reason.

sprinter2139
    Free Member

I’ve got plastic Nukeproof Electron Evos on my bike, super lightweight and they have taken a few knocks with the low BB on the Stumpy and no loose pins.

Unless you specifically want a metallic finish or just have money burning a hole in your pocket I can’t see why you wouldn’t fit plastic as a first choice!

Northwind

I didn’t like the old Electron much at all tbh but not because it’s plastic, I just didn’t think it was a good shape. But the Horizon is bloody good. Some reports of breaking off outside pins but mine have taken enough decent hits to say that they’re not delicate at least…

It’s like anything else, material isn’t all that counts, you can get metal pedals that suck and up til now plastic’s not really been a choice for high quality pedals so that probably taints people’s expectations. I totally expect the longterm life to be less good- bushings, bearing seats etc are just more likely to wear into the pedal itself. But at the price I don’t really care, a new set of pedals costs as much as 2 bearing kits.

vincienup
    Free Member

I’ve been meaning to try the plastic (i think strictly Nylon? probably wrong) Nukes for a while now after witnessing the pasting a mate handed out to his over a period with no ill effects. Normally I run NanoThru’s / NanoX’s (several pairs of each) or ickle Shimano spa’s on non-flat bikes. Had DMR’s and Saints and don’t feel the need for a second pair of either.

Obvious pluses of the non-metal pedals are the price, but they honestly seem to be the equal of almost anything out there that isn’t titanium axled exotica. So, your stomach for adventure and willingness to open your wallet seem to be the key points if you like thin, wide flats with the usual pins that you can get replacements for anywhere.

I’m actually surprised that the thread hasn’t been sabotaged with people telling everyone that they need Vaults, Burgtecs or F20’s and nothing else will do, yet. Well done, STW! 😀

dale
    Free Member

Only negative I have found after a years ridding electrons are that the pins are a narrower guage,this has led to a bit more wear on me shoes.Light and tough enough with good seals on the bearings

benpinnick

I run raceface chester plastics and love them. Can’t see why you’d want alu pedals tbh.

dumbbot
    Free Member

Watch out,the pins are sharp.(this was before I got some 5.10’s..)

I’ve had the electrons for about 18month and still going strong,I love them.

ulysse
    Free Member

Mine get rock strikes on almost every ride, the metal replaceable pins are rock solid, never moved, but the 2 plastic molded in plastic pins on the outer edge are both long gone… And they are still the same color as when I bought them in summer last year despite this abuse!
    Bearings feel the same as when new too.
    I’d definitely recommend nukeproofs Horizon

russyh
    Free Member

Got to be honest I love my gamut podiums. super light, look cool nice size. But I have absolutely battered them and the pins are made of cheese. When they eventually die I will replace with plastic nukes. Bang for buck I don’t think you can beat them. Certainly much better than the Nano’s nowadays! They seem to of gone backwards since production was moved back in house

gelert
    Free Member

Superstar El-Plastique Flats are superb too. A pair lasts about two years. Can’t be bothered to try replacing bearings or bushings so buy new ones. £17 last pair in a sale. Just check the pins have been tightened in the factory before first ride, some weren’t on mine. Awesome grip with 510s. Light weight too.

NormalMan

I’ve got Nukeproof ones on both my offroad bikes.

One pair are now on their third bike so they last pretty well IME.

mildbore

Remember Keith Bontrager’s mantra about cheap, light, strong? Plastic pedals disprove it

MarkBrewer
    Free Member

The newer version on the Nukeproof electons don’t have that horrible raised lump in the middle so feel nicer. I’ve got a set of the original ones and any set of pedals that can do 3+ years of Quantocks grinding paste with no maintenance is definitely a good one 😉

andyl
    Free Member

Remember Keith Bontrager’s mantra about cheap, light, strong? Plastic pedals disprove it

or do they? I could argue that they are tough, not strong so are cheap, light and tough.

Got a set of SS ones in the parts box I bought in the sale as a backup should I never need some flats. Absolutely no problem using them over some metal ones and the only slight negative is it might be easier to really rip a pin out but tbh there is a risk of damaging metal pedals from a similar hard hit on a pin.

paulneenan76
    Free Member

Another shout for Race Face Chesters here. Will be getting a set for the HT soon.

dougiedogg
    Free Member

Love the Nukeproofs, can’t get my feet off them sometimes.

SammyC
    Free Member

I personally really loved the SS nano’s on my bike that got nicked, so which plastic pedal is a good match for those in terms of size/shape for the replacement bike?

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Plastic flats – what are the pros and cons over metal?’ is closed to new replies.