• This topic has 10 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by Murr.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Plasterers/Drywallers – Collated screw guns, or not?
  • jamiesilo
    Free Member

I do a fair amount of plasterboarding. doing quick calculation i can see that collated gun would make a huge differnce in screwing speed (tho admittedly what i’m slower at is the cutting.)

i’ve got makita batteries but heard bad things about the makita ones; constant screw-jams and pulling apart to rectify.

So, are they worth it? should i just get a standard clutch drywall gun?
    Cordless or not?
    other brands?

i see both bosch and dewalt do a cordless that can be converted from regular to collated drywall gun. great, but not desperate to shell out for batteries too.

opinions/experience?

twinw4ll
    Free Member

I’ve got a Senco autofeed 240v, pretty good, but does need practice to get it cock on. I only bought it to do my own loft conversion, invaluable if your putting boards up on your own.

jimob
    Free Member

I’ve also got a Senco 240v one. I’ve had it about 5/6 year’s now and it’s brilliant. The only issue I’ve ever had was when I used wd40 to lubricate the moving part’s. Big mistake as as the plasterboard dust clogged it up. Now I use a silicone spray and everything is nice and smooth. So much quicker than using individual screws. If you do a fair bit of boarding then go for it. The time you save will make the initial outlay worth it.

jamiesilo
    Free Member

thanks guys, i know the outlay’s worth it. i have a fair bit lined-up and probably always will. plus i’m trying to get completely tooled up before i eventually build my own house..

so the fact they’re mains ones is not annoying?

jimob
    Free Member

Sorry. I told a lie. Mines a 110v one which works off a transformer. The cable is mildly irritating sometimes but you get used to it fairly quickly. It’s also lighter than a cordless one.

singlesman
    Free Member

We’re either plastering, tacking or dry lining and have corded and cordless makita collated screw guns but unless there are 100’s of m2 to do they tend to stay in the van. Just use impact drivers which are out for the stud work anyway.

jamiesilo
    Free Member

maybe i’ll go for a regular cordless drywall gun for the moment.
    will save me a bit of time and annoyance for sure.
    not sure the 200 quid for a collated is worth it for the quantities i do.

olly2097
    Free Member

I just pinkgrip foamed my lounge and diner. Solid as. Very quick

jamiesilo
    Free Member

good for you : )

Rorschach
    Free Member

Used a Senco 240v one here to do a pretty big house.Can’t imagine doing it without one.

Murr
    Free Member

Got a makita 110 volt collated gun, definitely quicker than a tec gun with loose screws, yes they sometimes do get screws stuck in the cone that could be down to cheaper screws not feeding through the gun straight .

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Plasterers/Drywallers – Collated screw guns, or not?’ is closed to new replies.