Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Plant ID please
  • PiknMix
    Free Member

Can any of you knowledgable folk tell me what this is please?

We have just moved house and it was one of the plants my wife insisted came with us, only she nor I know what it is.
    I have no idea where to plant it in the new place.

It’s not my brickwork and I know the patio needs tidying up 😉

slowoldgit
    Free Member

One sick hydrangea

(edit) – Nice pot but it’s way too small. Are you in a hard water area, this may mess them up, I’m not too sure. They are said to do better on acid soils.

russianbob
    Free Member

Hydranger. You can smoke the petals to get you high. Active ingredient is cyanide though. So be careful.

flowerpower
    Free Member

Hydrangea…

Have mercy on it and stick it in the ground 🙂

It will grow upto 3 to 4 ft, so at the back of a border, or against a fence is good. Cut the stems back in autumn or early spring, they are generally pretty bomb proof and it should do fine once it is set free.

EDIT – In reply to above – they will do okay on most soils, but the acidity will affect the flower colour.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

Ta fp. This one looks a bit stunted and dense, I’d suggest not cutting it back until it’s had chance to grow out for a year, then remove dead and weak stems, see what’s left and decide. Plus wait until buds are opening to see what’s survived the winter. They grow alternate ways so you get to influence the direction of replacement growth a bit.

PiknMix
    Free Member

Thank you,

It was fine before it was moved and is getting planted out today now I know what it is. The pot was always going to be a temporary measure just to get it moved.

mogrim

AKA Hortensia if you’re googling for more information.

I generally cut mine right back at the beginning of winter.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

If you plant a few tulip bulbs around the base, they’ll appreciate not being disturbed, and should do well.

PiknMix
    Free Member

It’s in 🙂
    We have gone from a 90ft garden to a much smaller one with hardly any border space, the previous owner clearly wasn’t one for plants so have just dug some tiny wavy borders and not planted them.

We had some plants that had to come as they are beautiful, one being the above Hydrangea, a mallow tree, fuscia, peony, cyclamen and the roses (which are quite important as both my grandma and grandads ashes were spread under them)
    I think we will be completely landscaping the garden next year so these plants are likely to get moved again, now all I need is a silver birch tree.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Plant ID please’ is closed to new replies.