• This topic has 14 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by julzm.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Planning a trip to scotland
  • chrishc777
    Free Member

Last week whilst on the annual Wales trip we decided to go to scotland next year.
    We are on the Isle of Wight so really couldn’t be much further! I have taken on organizing and don’t know where to start. Flying looks easier but then we would need transport. Unless someone knows of biker friendly cheap camper rentals? otherwise I have o idea where the good trail centres are, where to stay etc.
    Any advice or help would be much appreciated, I thought it would be much easier when discussing it over pints in Afan!

allfankledup

There are places further away from the Isle of Wight than Scotland

It just may not feel like it if you have to drive here with the kids in the car. 6 hrs on the m6/m74 today with my darling children….

You looking for a potentially warm season/ one full of midges / a time of the year when you may freeze to death / a time of year when you may drown ? We can cater for most requests

ton

fly to inverness, leave bike boxes at one of the warehouses next to the airport.
    then spend a week doing a circular offroad tour.
    you will be offroad within 40 mins of leaving the airport.

places to stay which we rode offroad to.

aviemore
    braemar
    pitlochry
    rannoch hotel
    roybridge
    drumnadrochit

it was awesome.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

otherwise I have o idea where the good trail centres are,

I assume your’e not traipsing from The IOW just to ride trail centres?
    (you can if you want but, you know)

danti

Depends on what you want really, trail centres or wild riding, how many of you are going might make driving more economical and you can take more kit, drop in places on the way.

Being able to drive where you want will give you far more choices.
    If trail centres then I’d recommend the following:
    Kirroughtree, Glentress, Innerleithen, Laggan and Fort Bill.
    For wild riding Cairngorms, Torridon.
    7 Stanes website is a good place to start.

chrishc777
    Free Member

We would like to do natural wild riding, just that It’s going to be a long drive and wouldn’t want to end up lost atop a moor or riding along the sides of fields! With trail centres you can be sure it’s all good.. can anyone reccomend where to find good maps and guidance for proper natural singletrack riding?

br
    Free Member

Nearest place in Scotland for you is around us, Tweed Valley.

Everything from two trail centres, miles of remote MTBing and techy stuff good enough for the Enduro World Series.

Come in late May/early June.

🙂

iainc

Cairngorm is ok I guess 🙂

rickmeister

Fly to Aberdeen / Inverness and rent some transport I think… Could you bike across from the I.O. W to Southampton and fly from there ? Would save 2 days travelling.

rone

Having a fantastic time in Aviemore at moment. Bone dry and clear.

Aviemore makes a great base for lots of riding. You can potter around the forests endlessly; or get yourself up high for big rides. Not really that many people around too.

Like the village too.

vmgscot

If driving up and you fancy trail centres then I suggest around our area – Dumfries and Galloway – first area you come to. Trail centres a plenty (Kirroughtree, Dalbeatie, Ae, Mabie, Drumlanrig) and natural riding over the Lowthers, etc

Worth a look.

tomd
    Free Member

The Vertebrate Publishing guidebooks are a good starting point for “natural” riding. There are two volumes and that would give you plenty of rides to do. The maps and descriptions are generally pretty good and cover short routes, all day epics and some multi day options. Well worth having.

Edit: http://www.v-publishing.co.uk/books/categories/mountain-biking/

skindog
    Free Member

Don’t forget you’ll need your passport and a visa by next year!

But none the less I suggest flying to somewhere like Edinburgh and then doing a big loop covering the cairngorms, natural trails aplenty and Laggan WolfTrax, west coast such as Torridan and Skye, and a finish in the Tweed Valley (avoiding the bike parks)

It’ll be sunny the whole time too, with no midges.

Enjoy.

Trekster

http://www.innerhaven.co.uk

http://www.trailbrakes.co.uk/output/mtb_holidays.asp

We would like to do natural wild riding, just that It’s going to be a long drive and wouldn’t want to end up lost atop a moor or riding along the sides of fields! With trail centres you can be sure it’s all good.. can anyone reccomend where to find good maps and guidance for proper natural singletrack riding?

Strava 😉

Routes

julzm
    Free Member

7stanes have an app with all the maps on it. You buy the maps individually but they show where you are on the trail so for your first couple of times good for orientating yourself. 7stanes website will also let you see maps. Trail maps available at all 7stanes which have facilities.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Planning a trip to scotland’ is closed to new replies.