Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Planet X / Ribble Carbon Road Bikes
  • nim

Hi all,

I’m looking at the Planet X / Ribble Carbon Road Bikes (1K) as a cheap way of gettig a decent (for my modest needs) road bike. It’s be for nice days and triathlon events as have an alu road bike that gets used for commuting.

Any views as to whether these bikes/frames are any good?

Thanks,

Nim

carlos
    Free Member

Got a Planet X SL Pro, had it a couple of yrs now without compliant. Changed the wheels due to the spokes pulling through the rim a little but sorted under warranty no problem.

On the whole its a great bike for the £££.

Carl

dantsw13

I have a Planet X RT-57 Carbon SRAM Rival bike for £999 – great value for such a light bike!! I have a few Tri mates who use The P-X Pro Carbon too – they are very happy.

hjghg5
    Free Member

I’ve got a nanolight with SRAM Force which I really like for the price – but on the other hand I don’t have an encyclopaedic knowledge of how other bikes ride.

heavy_rat
    Free Member

I’ve got a PX Pro Carbon. I love it. Plenty good enough for me. Light as a feather too.

drain

What Carlos said re the PX SL Pro. I’ve had mine for nearly 4 years and it’s all I’m ever likely to need from a road bike. Much more compliant than my old Giant OCR2, and crazy light / VFM for the £1k (full Ultegra!). I use 25c tyres and it copes with crappy Somerset lanes and took JOGLE in 9 days in its stride no problem.

kilo

I’ve got a PX Pro and a Ribble sportive. Of the two I prefer the PX it’s a bit sportier fit and handling wise but tbh not much in it both good bikes. The mrs has a ribble evo which she likes and has used in half ironmans with no probs comfort wise

johnnystorm

Also have a look at a Dolan Mythos. Pretty sure the frame has close relations with a PX one.

TubsRacing
    Free Member

I went for a Ribble cos of wanting to cutomise it with their bike builder. Very pleased and when I did have a problem it was sorted quickly and with no fuss. Mrs TR has a PX – which I think are better value – and that also had a problem (not very lucky are we?) which got sorted but took an age whilst waiting for the infamous container to land from China.

Don’t think you’d be disapointed with either but can you get to one more easily than the other to throw your leg over it (even if Ribble don’t let you ride them)?

MoreCashThanDash

As above, try and get to one or the other to check sizing – Ribble alloy frames always used to come up a bit large.

I’ve had several of Ribble’s alloy frames over the years, great value for money. Lots on here slag their service off, but I bet they are no better or worse than most other online bike retailers in terms of volume of complaint per sale.

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

Also have a look at a Dolan Mythos. Pretty sure the frame has close relations with a PX one.

Definately where I would be looking for that price point.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Planet X / Ribble Carbon Road Bikes’ is closed to new replies.