Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Planet-X Pro Carbon – what size and should I?
  • mtbtomo
    Free Member

Following on from a recent Planet-X thread, I’m getting increasingly drawn to a Planet-X Pro carbon frame.

However, I’m right on the boundary of the medium and large sizes, at 5ft 10.

What size do other people ride?

I know the weight isn’t up there with the latest sub 1kg carbon frames, but it would surely still be a chunk of weight lighter than my Genesis Aether alu frame?

Would their owners recommend them at £399 + £99 for fork????

big_n_daft
    Free Member

Nice comfy frame, been sold for £400 including forks new or less lots of times at £500 there are probably better alternatives

I would go for a large

mtbtomo
    Free Member

I thought they had been cheaper but I’m still drawn…

Better alternatives such as….????

mikeyp

I’m 5’11 and have a large, it feels pretty compact, a medium would have been way too small. Had it for 4-5 years. Great frame for the money.

heavy_rat
    Free Member

I would go for the bigger frame. I was borderline L/XL. I decided on L but now wish I’d gone XL

jimilindley
    Free Member

Worth trying one, they are a “race geometry” frame, so there is quite a stretch to the bars. I’m 6 foot 1, and large is good for me

brant
    Free Member

At 5’10” you want a medium not a large.

Andy_Sweet
    Free Member

I’m 5ft 9 and riding a medium (with a slightly shorter stem than most roadies use)….. Very very happy with it…..

mtbtomo
    Free Member

So the consensus is about 50/50 split…..

The effective top tube length on a medium looks about the same as what I currently ride, but the head tube is quite a bit shorter…

In the absence of a test ride, think I’d have to go with Brant for the deciding vote!

Do you know if there are any good (better) deals due sometime soon Brant 😉

endurancenut
    Free Member

I’d rather go for the RT57. The front end on the Pro Carbon is a little soft for my liking.

barrykellett
    Free Member

I’m a long legged 5’9″ and am on a large.
    Probably should be on a medium though in retrospect as I have a fairly short stem on it and compact bars

Still find myself sitting forward on the saddle a lot, hence I think the medium should have been the one I got

Buzzard
    Free Member

mtbthomo

YGM

sefton
    Free Member

I’m 5 10 and have a large (which PX advised) with a 100mm stem (a 90 would probably be a little better) had it for a few years no probs, light, comfy, cant feel so called flex (but never ridden a ‘high end’ carbon frame to compare. throw some good wheels on and your laughing!

dickie
    Free Member

5’11” on a large with 90mm stem, 5’8″ wife on a medium with 80mm stem.

concretej
    Free Member

I’ve ridden a small SL pro for 4 years now and im 5ft 8. Also have a s old Giant OCR in small size which is similar dimension to Planett X. I used to ride a medium OCR which was fine with a few adjustments like stem but after a year or so I knew it was not ideal size, it just never felt totally tailored and manouverable for my size. I’d imagine you would need a medium being two inches taller.Compared to aluminm frames this bike softens all road chatter and is queiter too. I have never felt flex in frame or fork myself and power is transferred to wheels as good as any ally frame. You could pay more but im not sure it would be worth it.

radoggair
    Free Member

deffo a medium for you sir,

Had one for a few years and at the time thot it was dogs bollox. Now i’ve got a high end carbon bike, it made the x feel flexy and not that fast

hora
    Free Member

Hmmm Im on the border of a L/XL. I dont want to be stretched out or hunched up. (6ft2)

Thoughts?

RT57 is too stiff however for a heavier rider would it be too stiff for me?

hora
    Free Member

Edit: Eurika. I have a long back = XL

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Mate has just picked one up on the C2W scheme. It is the white one that’s on the site now. It was lovely actually, and very light. I’ve just put a deposit down on a Giant Defy carbon on the C2W and it had me wondering if I should re-consider.

He’s about 5’10” and had a medium. He reckoned it was perfect for him but to my eye he had a hell of alot of seat post showing. Not sure if its deceptive due to the sloping top tube though.

chakaping
    Free Member

I haven’t held a Planet X frame, but I have compared an Aether frame and fork to a Boardman Carbon F&F and there’s not as much in it as I expected.

But would you be interested in a Boardman Carbon F&F for half the price of the PLanet X? One careful owner and I’m pretty sure it’d fit you.

Email in profile if yr interestd.

🙂

Jamie
    Free Member

That Carbon Pro looks lovely in a the Guru Blue.

hora
    Free Member

You wouldnt cancel a Defy if you testrode one. Its popular on here for a reason. The only downside is its Tiagra but I bet a better feeling ride/frame than the Planetx (no offence meant).

I testrode Orbeas, Spesh, the Defy and the Defy felt like an old friend.

hora
    Free Member

You wouldnt cancel a Defy if you testrode one. Its popular on here for a reason. The only downside is its Tiagra but I bet a better feeling ride/frame than the Planetx (no offence meant).

I testrode Orbeas, Spesh, the Defy and the Defy felt like an old friend.

sefton
    Free Member

I’m 5 9 and I have a large 57 with a 120 stem. its too long. I have to have an inline post with the saddle all the way forward.

get a medium

scaredypants

I’m 5 9 and I have a large 57 with a 120 stem

[quote]its too long[/quote]

AMEN, brother !! 😯

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Good to hear that Hora. I’ll stick with the Defy then.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

5’9 on a large?! Oops.

scaredypants

I had (still have, but stripped now) a XL at 6ft 1″ and with pretty long arms – XL fitted me fine but I don’t like v long stems (100-120). Actually had a large first, changed to XL & preferred it but I’m prob large and a half

sefton
    Free Member

still fast as hell on it tho 8)

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Planet-X Pro Carbon – what size and should I?’ is closed to new replies.