• This topic has 22 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by hora.
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Planet X Pro Carbon Owners?
  • jimfrandisco
    Free Member

Considering one of these as a new road bike frame.
    I’m in the process of measuring up myself and existing frames to work out what size to go for, but interested in any owners experience of size and fit and how they’ve found them.
    Cheers
    Jim

Tiger6791

5,11 and got a Large (normal proportions)

Fits well but I put 20mm shorter stem on.

jimfrandisco
    Free Member

Thanks – i’m 5’10” but not particularly flexible. Looking at geometry and while the ETT difference between M-L is 23mm, the reach is only 12mm different. So thinking the larger with a short stem might give a more comfortable position.
    cheers
    Jim

bazzer
    Free Member

5’11 and ride a large.

I like it, comfy bike to ride.

igm

I’ll have a large white for sale shortly (frame forks and headset as a minimum) if you’re interested – it won’t be expensive. Email in profile.

Tiger6791

Which one are you going for?

The only things I changed on mine was the stem and wheels.

Stem to be a bit shorted and the wheels that came with it. (Vision Team 30) which I’d advise upgrading / not having if you get the choice.

Nice looking light wheels but soooo tight on the tyre that you can’t do a roadside repair without serious brute force.

jimfrandisco
    Free Member

Actually i’m just looking at the frameset as i already have a groupset to donate and just built up a new set of wheels…although it could be better value to buy a whole bike and sell the spare parts i don’t need.

heavy_rat
    Free Member

6′ 1″ had a large. Found it a tad small. Stiill, rode it for about 2 years. Sold it and bought a large Giant TCR. Much happier.

swampi
    Free Member

At 5 11 I ride a medium with 120mm stem,I know from my retul scans a large with 100 gives me the same position but with the large you have more front end height so less saddle drop,all depends on personal preference and flexibility

mrblobby
    Free Member

Have you heard of hora?

Bregante

hora’s was spot on fit wise in the end

©binners 2014

Tiger6791

jimfrandisco – Member
    Actually i’m just looking at the frameset as i already have a groupset to donate and just built up a new set of wheels…although it could be better value to buy a whole bike and sell the spare parts i don’t need.

In all honesty, if I was just looking at the frame I’d buy something else.

It’s a great bike built up but part of that is it’s value, I’m not sure I’d buy the frame though and build a bike around it.

It’s nothing special.

Tiger6791

Here’s a picture anyway

Tiger6791

(yes I know, weed the path, weed the beds, paint the fence)

superfastjellyfish
    Free Member

I’ve never ridden much over 5 hours but a medium feel comfortable enough for me.
    I got measured at the Edinburgh store before it closed, I’m 5’10 and they recommended I ride a medium with a 120mm stem.
    I did sit on the large but it felt too big/long and I didn’t fancy shortening the stem length.

Scapegoat

Yep, I’m 5’11” and found a large with a 90mm stem very comfortable for long distances.

jimfrandisco
    Free Member

At 5 11 I ride a medium with 120mm stem,I know from my retul scans a large with 100 gives me the same position but with the large you have more front end height so less saddle drop,all depends on personal preference and flexibility

Thanks for the above – that was what i was thinking.

Tiger – appreciate your comments about it not being anything special, but currently the frameset is only 299, which seems pretty good value even if it’s only average?
    Certainly open to other suggestions – the key being lightish, compact and esy on the wallet.

Afraid all the hora stuff is lost on me, missed those threads – would be interested in enlightenment, but only so much time at work i can spend not actually doing any work!

cheers all

Jim

jimfrandisco
    Free Member

Thanks superfast – being 5’10 seems to put you between frame sizes on pretty much every bike i’ve ever looked at!

slowpuncheur
    Free Member

Thanks superfast – being 5’10 seems to put you between frame sizes on pretty much every bike i’ve ever looked at!

Totally agree. Giant do a M/L size for this reason I think.

Same height and average proportions. I had a large with a 100mm stem and felt a bit stretched. Since moved to a Medium Canyon frame and it fits like a glove.

aazlad
    Free Member

I have a Dolan Letape which has exactly the same geometry. I’m 5’11” and wasn’t sure whether to get a M or L. Had a bike fit with Dolan and was clearly better fitted to a L. Its fitted with a100mm stem.

Scapegoat

At under £300 it’s good value. I built mine up using donor groupset, 105 chainset shifters and brakes, ultegra mechs and Aksium wheels. With carefully chosen finishing kit it weighed 7. 6 kg, and was comfortable and reasonably quick. I’ve written the frame off now, and chosen a Dedacciai Gladiatore which is similar in shape size weight and construction…. The insurers have paid £800 for that frameset. In medium size it has the same top tube length as the PX large, give or take 5mm.

stever
    Free Member

I’m 5’10 – L Pompino a touch too big, M Pro Carbon is spot on.

hora
    Free Member

I had a large (I’m 6ft2 and sexy as foook), tbh the large was too small.

I know rock a 57 Ritchey Logic 2.0 and its superior in every way possible.

I know the PlanetX has sold shedloads and its popular. It’d make a great commuter but for a smidge more money there is soo much more (better choice out there). I was dazzled by the groupset that came on the PX.

Frame/forks first then groupo. Wheels of course make a huge difference.

Not sure what wheels come on the current PX but my FSA ones are still in the shed. Relatively cheap Ultegra wheels were night and day compared to those.

ALL IMO but look at Paulscycles etc first.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Planet X Pro Carbon Owners?’ is closed to new replies.