Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Planet-X \ On-One Merino T-Shirts
  • jeffl

So I’m Looking for a couple of merino t-shirts to reduce the stink of commuting. The Planet-X/On-One’s look cheap at £25 a pop and also on 2 for 3. But it being Planet-X/On-One I’m concerned they’ll shrink like mad on the first wash. Has anyone had any experience of them?

http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CLOOMCSST/on-one-merino-core-short-sleeve-t-shirt-160g

In an ideal world I’d quite like a Howies but they’re an extra £20 a t-shirt.

Thanks.

jamiep
    Free Member

Some have reported good things. Two of the three of mine developed holes after ONE wash (on the 30d wool cycle)

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I bought a LS one about a year ago, like jamie mine looked like the moths had had it after the first wash.

Fine for a baselayer in winter, but crap as a t-shirt.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

I have some of the merino / Coolmax mix which I really like. Not ideal as a casual T (in my opinion – mine are tight-ish and now darned) and tend to hole easily, but otherwise nicely functional bits of kit.

cannondaleking
    Free Member

Had the shrinkage thing after a few washes on mine and moth hole look after about a year used infrequently.

Also have a few rapha ones kept shape and still going strong oldest one is about six years old now and all used regularly.

zippykona

My (not sure of brand) merino T shirt smells like a swamp.

qwerty
    Free Member

My On One merino thinny socks have shrunk so much so they no longer fit. Only had a few washes and aired dry. 🙁

jeffl

Thanks all, you’ve confirmed my thoughts, think I’ll give them a miss.

Stoner
    Free Member

’tis a pity.

I have 3 or 4 On-One merino shirts that have never been a bother (LS and SS). Maybe I have an older thicker manufactured version.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

I have a couple of long sleeved older 250g? tops. They shrank a bit but have been really hard-wearing.
    I also have a couple of slightly newer 200g ones. They didn’t shrink but are full of holes as they snag and tear at the slightest touch of barbed wire or brambles.

danti

I’ve tried the O-O tops and found similar results in that they shrink a bit and also become less soft.

Am now using the Mountain Warehouse Summit merino blend t shirt which are quite snug but don’t seem to shrink even on a 40 wash.

singletracksurfer

On One merino. Wear once merino. Thin socks shrink immediately, t-shirts become quite stiff/rough and thick tops shrunk to miniature felt tops. Thick socks have been ok though.

STATO
    Free Member

Not all merino is equal. From the base layers ive purchased over the years they rank as follows.

Top;

Rapha
    Rohan
    Howies
    Endura
    Aldi
    ;Bottom

On-one

neilwarne
    Free Member

Mine’s Ok, but then again I don’t machine wash it, in fact I’m pretty sure the care label tells you not to machine wash it.

natrix
    Free Member

I’ve got a planet x merino-coolmax mix t-shirt and a couple of aldi merino t-shirts. All have been machine washed at 40 for several years with no shrinkage or holes………….

mrchrispy

splash the cash and get howies.
    i bought 3 at a sample sale 6/7 years ago (corn exchange in Manchester is anyone remembers) wear one every day on the commute and they are only just starting to look tired. I’d have no problem buying more even at full price.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Planet-X \ On-One Merino T-Shirts’ is closed to new replies.