Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Planet X London Road for 550 quid.
  • Mackem

I’m so tempted, is there any reason not to?

jeffl

I have one and like it. Bit of a bargain at that price. There has been some issues with seat tubes being oversized and Planet X being awful at dealing with it and denying it’s an issue, allegedly. There’s a big thread on here about it.

igm

That’s for mechanical not hydraulic brakes – apart from that, tempted myself.

MoreCashThanDash

Looked quite nice bikes at the Cycle Show – first time I’d seen one in the flesh. Very sturdy and capable looking bike.

I’m assuming you weren’t planning on racing on it?

Mackem

No racing, commuting on a mix of road/towpath/gravel – looks perfect for this.

Was just making sure it isn’t a Grapil situation in that there’s a reason they are so cheap.

Northwind

If they’ve fixed the QC then it might be OK. But the way they handled all the problems showed they didn’t give a shit about it.

Basically you have to cost PX stuff in the same way you would a used bike- there’s the same level of warranty, same aftersales, and a definite possibility of getting something that’s bent.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Is the possibility of a special oval-shaped seat tube that exceeds the (31.6mm?) diameter by some margin a good reason?

Or are these special framesets kept back to sell as separates only at a special low price? 😆

If I had to buy a commuter from PX, I think I would rather pay extra for something like a hydraulic disc BishBashBosh or a Pickenflick. Not just the seat tube issue, but also the BB7 mechanical disc brakes (will cost a few hundred quid to upgrade to hydraulics) and the limited ~40mm tyre clearance on the London Road (despite the Schwalbe 50mm Century tyres being an option on the non-special LR version).

Bregante

snownrock

Just seen this myself, was waiting for a Pinnacle Arkose 4 on CTW in January but the £1100 sale stock will probably have cleared by then anyway.

This seems like quite a good deal at this price. Two days after my current Boardman cx commuter died too, not bad

csb

Anyone 5’10” vouch for the m size recommendation they give?

igm

I’ve had a few PXs over the years and at 6′ I’m a large. 5’10” does sound like a medium, but it’ll vary with leg/torso length maybe?

csb

Thanks igm

snownrock

Anyone got any similarly specced/priced alternatives?

snownrock

Well, decided that I couldn’t really justify not buying a bike of this spec at this price when I was already planning a replacement for my (now broken) commuter/hack bike.

I selected the collect from Sheffield option so should hopefully give me a chance to spot any QC issues.

Anyone else bite? The stock of large lime green dropped by 8 in the time I took to decide so seem popular.

wicki
    Free Member

I would advise a very thorough inspection mine had a hole in a weld and poor threads in the disc mounts on both fork and frame.

alanl
    Free Member

I bought one last year, built it up myself, had no problems at all, it’s a lovely bike, every time I get on it I come back and say it’s a brilliant, smooth, bike. No problems with mechanical brakes either (I’ve got Avid BB7), they are better than Cantis/ V’s by a long way, I couldnt justify the extra cost of hydraulic for road use, and haven’t regretted it.Mine cost me £750ish, so you’ve got a good deal there.

Moses

Now the price is back up to £800, as of Monday afternoon 🙁

snownrock

Got a free wheel upgrade as they had run out of the advertised wheels, not bad. Vision team 30’s from selcof/wtb mix, not bad.

fisherboy
    Free Member

Mine’s due to be built up on friday. Wheel upgrade would be nice, but not heard anything other than the advertised spec as yet.

coomber
    Free Member

Avid BB7s are really good

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Planet X London Road for 550 quid.’ is closed to new replies.