Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Planet X Kaffenback 2 builds
  • Jeffus
    Free Member

Hi, does anyone know what the rear wheel spacing is? will it take a 135mm Shimano XT hub , I have some 29er wheels XT hubs hoping they would fit, any pics of your builds would be great cheers 😀
    I fancy a black one for trundling the lanes with a chunky set of road tyres.

tinribz
    Free Member

Believe they are 132.5

Have been using XT hubs for yonks.

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3741/9562982053_8674586522_b.jpg%5B/IMG%5D

Jeffus
    Free Member

tinribz, thanks that is a really nice bike, what brakes are you using , i was thinking maybe BB7 or TRP Spyre. Groupset wise Tiagra or 105 depends whats out there at a good price 😀

tinribz
    Free Member

Hi, its 105 Stis and BB7s on mine. Tricky to set up but good when it is.

paul4stones

Good question OP.

That ^^ is not a Kaff 2 I think but a swap out one. It may well be 132.5 but that doesn’t mean the new one is. Looking at the wheels that come with the complete Kaff 2 bike they are described as ‘road disc wheels’ which could mean they are 130 (road) or 135 (common road/cx rear) but I can’t find out which. Of course 132.5 can go either way without too much fuss, especially with a steel frame. FWIW the Uncle John was 135 rear.

I know a man who’ll know but I don’t think he’s allowed to answer PX questions any more……

paul4stones

They’re 135 apparently.

Jeffus
    Free Member

Thanks paul4stones , i guess you mean mr B 😀 thats cool my wheels will fit 23mm internal rims , I guess a 32c will look huge.

lunge

135mm I think. Mine currently has a Deore rear hub in.

Andy_Sweet
    Free Member

I’ve got the kaffenback with removable dropouts. Definitely 135. I’m running xt hubs.

jerrys
    Free Member

135 spacing.
    BB7 brakes and stronglight 48/38/28 triple and Sora brifters and mechs.

And yes – I still need to cut the steerer down 🙂

28mm panaracer Tourguard tyres (heavy but bombproof)

Jeffus
    Free Member

Nice bike jerrys, they are quite a nice looking bike, thanks 😀

jerrys
    Free Member

Thanks Jeffus.

The colour is really beginning to grow on me. Planet X were selling some of these off on ebay for 129.99 in the summer and I couldn’t resist (as I wanted to try my hand at building a bike up). At the time I would have preferred black, but they weren’t available (or not for that price anyway).

jp-t853

I have the removable drop out version and it is 132.5mm. You just have to pull the stays apart slightly.

This is with 26″ wheels it now has 1.75 marathons on it

Jeffus
    Free Member

jp-t853 oh wow 26″ wheels how is the pedal to ground clearance and flat bars, never thought of that type of build.

jerrys the colour is nice , I like tea and coffee 😀

jp-t853

Jeffus – Member

jp-t853 oh wow 26″ wheels how is the pedal to ground clearance and flat bars, never thought of that type of build.

I had a Cove Handjob and wanted to change to a commuter so I transfered everything over from the MTB (full xt, riser bars plus some bar ends) to the Kaffenback frame & forks. With the thin tyres in the photo the lack of clearance is noticeable.

I changed the tyres to 26×1.75 Schwalbe Marathons and they fill the diameter gaps pretty well (I had to adjust the mudguards outwards quite a lot) and therefore clearance is fine. It is very comfortable having 47mm tyres which is not an option running 700c.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Planet X Kaffenback 2 builds’ is closed to new replies.