Viewing 6 posts - 41 through 46 (of 46 total)
  • Planet X, are they only bike shop in the country that charges 10% for C2W
  • bikescience
    Free Member

To clear up any confusion as to what we do/don’t charge for at Bike Science. Our bike buying process usually works along these lines…

Firstly, anyone buying a bike or considering buying a bike from us comes in for a 45 minute appointment. We use this time to talk about and advise on required spec, budget etc plus use an adjustable fitting jig to determine the most suitable frame size, bar width, cranks and stem. This service is free no matter whether the customer chooses to buy a bike or not. If 45 minutes isn’t enough, we’ll book further appointments as necessary. We prefer to use a jig rather than a real bike for this session as it allows more efficient changes of frame size, frame model, crank length and stem length and bars. It also means we don’t need to keep 20 models of bike in stock in 4, 5 or maybe 6 sizes per model. We keep a number of test bikes in the most popular sizes so where possible customers can test ride the bike too. Each bike is built to order which is one of the big advantages of working with a company like Planet X.

If the customer decides to go ahead and buy a bike, we send the order up to Planet X and get the bike shipped in with the riders choice of spec. Once the bike arrives with us, the customer gets another free set up session on the bike. This session again takes around 45 minutes where we’ll look at basic set up. Saddle height, saddle fore/aft, bar height, stem length again (and swap if needed), grip position. This is a fairly traditional “static” fit (although of course we’ll watch the customer pedalling, we’re not actually taking any accurate measurements of the pedal stroke).

If the customer wishes, they have the option to have our higher level Retul bike fit at half the usual price. This is a pretty involved process and looks at rider flexibility, detailed knee movement, uses a motion capture system to take rider movement measurements on the bike and match the bike to rider flexibility (and ability). For the majority of people buying a £1k bike and riding a relatively low mileage there’s no real need to go into this level of detail and most just go for the free set up option. For riders either racing or riding big miles for recreation we can often help eliminate injuries and improve performance (we get a lot of LEJOG riders, long distance sportive riders an ironman triathletes coming for Retul fits for instance).

bol

This is why I love STW and the modern bike industry. When it works it really works.

Someone comes on spouting I’ll informed inflammatory outrage; some more people stoke it up a bit with wild assumptions and some conspiracy theory; some people who know what they are talking about are ignored, and then the actual companies being defamed come on and explain the reality. And of course the original posters aren’t seen for dust.

Better than soap opera, better than real life. I’d like to thank you all. Looking forward to the next instalment.

Clink

On our BTW scheme (Somerset CC) we get 10% off list price 😀 (only at identified LBS – so couldn’t get something that’s not sold in county).

metalheart
    Free Member

I love this thread!

bol +1 (and SBZ +2 too).

uplink
    Free Member

I don’t really understand the OPs complaint

I take it the 10% fee is pointed out upfront and not added at some later point after you’ve committed?
    So you know what the cost is, if it’s too much, just take your business elsewhere

seanoc
    Free Member

Bought a SL pro carbon from PX, took the 10% hit – nothing else comes close for that sort of money.

Viewing 6 posts - 41 through 46 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘Planet X, are they only bike shop in the country that charges 10% for C2W’ is closed to new replies.