Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Planet X 50 carbon rims (tubular)
  • shermer75
    Free Member

Are these any good? I’m a little confused as they come in front and rear specific- I thought front and rear rims were the same? Also if anyone knows the ERD that would be a massive help too!

Link

ianpv
    Free Member

no idea if they’re any good (although you always used to see a few sets at the races when I used to race).

The F/R thing is just the spoke count as far as I can see. I wouldn’t want to run a 16 spoke rear wheel!

shermer75
    Free Member

Good point….

akira

Also worth checking whether you need internal nipples or not and if so does the red compensate for that.

akira

539mm if it’s external nipples and 563mm if internal nipples presuming you’re using 12mm nipples seems to be the accepted figures. Although I’d buy the rims and then measure them as erd seems to sometimes vary form what manufacturers quote.

shermer75
    Free Member

@akira thanks for that! Where did you get those numbers from? I’ll ask Planet X if they are internal or external…

akira

I googled planet X 50mm rim erd and there were a few random forum results with people asking the same question.

akira

I googled planet X 50mm rim erd and there were a few random forum results with people asking the same question. Weight weenies I think it was

shermer75
    Free Member

Nice one, thanks 🙂

MaryHinge
    Free Member

TBH they are crap.

I’ve had quite a bit of px and o-o stuff over the years and been happy with the cost/quality balance.

But I bought a set of 50mm tubular wheels last January. They lasted less than 10 rides before both rims cracked. PX didn’t want to know. Just said impact damage and that was that. However, to break two rims I figure that I would have had to hit something pretty hard, so hard that I would know about it, but I didn’t.

I’m not hard on kit, as an example I have some PX Model B wheels that are over 4 years old and have done many miles/events/triathlons etc and are still perfect.

I know there are plenty out there being used for all sorts including cx, so maybe I just got unlucky, or maybe their later stuff is a bit “cheaper” which is what i suspect.

I do however still have the wheels built up, so if you do go ahead I can do you the hubs and spokes etc for a good price save you searching around.

I also have 3 mint condition Continental tub tyres for sale, 2 have done less than 200 miles and look unused, and one was only fitted to stretch it before being taken off as my spare. Only taped so lovely and clean.

schmiken

Mine have been spot on, no issues at all. Apparently tape only though which is strange. I got mine secondhand so glued on regardless.

goldenwonder
    Free Member

I was told tape only to, so I avoided completely! There’s no way I’d trust tape alone, especially for cx which is what I wanted them for.
    Have a look at CN carbon et al, plain, unbranded & quite possibly the same base product as the PX & cheap.
    I”ve run them for two seasons of cx racing & they’ve been faultless.

shermer75
    Free Member

Is that as in the CN*Carbon shop on ebay?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Planet X 50 carbon rims (tubular)’ is closed to new replies.