Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Plane spotters! Flying boat over SW London yesterday.
  • bigad40
    Free Member

Yesterday I heard the most amazing engine sound of from an old aircraft,
    I was expecting to see an old DC-3 or something similar but was blown away when I looked up and saw an old sea plane really low.
    It looked like a Catalina, I am not 100% sure though because it flew right over head and I was between buildings and it quickly disappeared.
    I was in Raynes Park/Merton area.
    Taking my boys to wings and wheels this weekend (their 1st airshow) last year we watched the Vulcan and Tornado from Pitch Hill, this year we got ear defenders for them and will be in the airport.
    I really hope the Catalina is there because that should confirm what it was.
    Did anyone else see it?

Flapjack
    Free Member

It was a Catalina. Took off from Duxford yesterday and is flying around the coast of Briitain apparently (according to local East Anglian TV news yesterday).

althepal

Due in Oban tomorrow for a rest day. Apparently this means they’ll be doing a few flypasts of the town then it might be on display at Oban airport afterwards.
    Nice touch as there were Catalinas and Sunderlands based there during WW2.

althepal

Here you go!
    Harry Hawker

mattsccm
    Free Member

Saw it over the beaches south of Cromer in Norfolk. Did wonder what it was doing.

mogrim

It was a Catalina, couple of pics (not mine) here:

https://twitter.com/LondonCM/status/370124269839056897/photo/1

lasty
    Free Member

Nice to see something interesting in the air. I was painting at the MILs and brought a smile to an otherwise tedious day….

Klunk
    Free Member
    CountZero

Fantastic aircraft, I have a real love of seaplanes, and the Cat is quite something. Bloody big when you get up close, the wings are huge, and pretty high off the ground. Had a chance to go on board one at Fairford, it would be amazing to fly in one, sitting in one of the observation blisters at the back, with it open.

globalti
    Free Member

Agreed; catalina is the loveliest aircraft.

Here’s a video of one landing on Lake Geneva:

http://www.catalina.org.uk/press-video/exclusive-lake-geneva-landing-footage-a18.html

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Plane spotters! Flying boat over SW London yesterday.’ is closed to new replies.