Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 82 total)
  • plane on a conveyerbelt
  • trailmonkey

it’s a slow day in the office, anyone got a link to the stw dweeb fest par excellence ?

can’t find it in the search.

zokes
    Free Member

It won’t 😉

MrGreedy

Picolax is funnier

imnotverygood

All you need to know is that it will 😆

trailmonkey

i need to know the conditions involved. is it a big long runway sized conveyer belt or is it on a treadmill ?

GrahamS

i need to know the conditions involved. is it a big long runway sized conveyer belt or is it on a treadmill ?

Doesn’t matter really. On a short treadmill it will move forward, fall off the end and then take off as normal.
    On a long runway sized treadmill it will move forward and take off as normal.

(amazingly some people still don’t get this 😯 )

imnotverygood

Thinking about it. The best way to solve this one is to lobby the government so that Heathrow Runway 3 is built as a massive conveyor belt. That would settle it once and for all.

Milkie
    Free Member

I think the original thread was lost years ago.

GrahamS

I think the original thread was lost years ago.

I think it has been discussed on pretty much every chat forum on the internet at some point or other – google should provide a few good snippets 😀

SST
    Free Member

Badger badger badger badger . . . .

best thread ever!

Muke
    Free Member

Baby Robin on a conveyor belt ?

mcmoonter
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q61WldikZ0w[/video]

stevewhyte
    Free Member

Now thats funny.

beamers

Mythbusters busted it:

Plane on a conveyor belt

Case closed

GrahamS

I can’t believe the pilot in that Mythbusters video thought it wouldn’t work 😯
    You’d hope that pilots would have a better understand of how planes fly!

atlaz
    Free Member

GrahamS – Why? I have been using computers for a living for years and other than basic stuff about how they work I’d be in no more position to explain how they really work than the next man. My best guess is magic.

That said I do know how planes fly and why the “discussion” is so comically stupid so perhaps it’s a shit analogy

GrahamS

Well yeah – I don’t expect pilots to be aerospace engineers – but I had hoped they’d understand fairly rudimentary principles of flight. 😆

dan1980
    Free Member

The mythbusters experiment doesn’t really match the true “spirit” of the plane on a conveyer question though as the conveyer is undergoing travel in a direction (rather than being stationary but rotating)

Air movement in and around the wings generates lift, so if the plane is moving, because the conveyer is, as in the mythbusters experiment, if you’re lucky, at some point, lift is greater than gravity, and the plane will take off.

The proper test should be when the plane is on a stationary but still rotating conveyer… 😉

miketually
    Free Member

The proper test should be when the plane is on a stationary but still rotating conveyer…

You don’t understand this, do you?

dan1980
    Free Member

I included the 😉 ….

Make of that what you will :mrgreen:

paulosoxo
    Free Member

The proper test should be when the plane is on a stationary but still rotating conveyer…

I can answer this.

No matter if the plane is on a treadmill, Swiss ball or excerise bike. It’ll only take off if its moving. Or it’s very, very windy. 🙂

GrahamS

emsz
    Free Member

What’s this about?

greeble
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01Q83yxdDaI[/video]

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KsdMuhYJPw[/video]

imnotverygood

What’s this about?

Trust me. You really don’t want to know.

dan1980
    Free Member

GrahamS
    “The proper test should be when the plane is on a stationary but still rotating conveyer… “

Eek! Worded that badly…. The proper test should be when the plane is on a conveyer that is stationary relative to the earth, but the belt on which the plane is sitting on is still rotating… 😉

GrahamS

tracknicko
    Free Member

what if a delorean was on a treadmill that was doing 88mph?

convert

I can’t believe the pilot in that Mythbusters video thought it wouldn’t work
    You’d hope that pilots would have a better understand of how planes fly!

Pilot was 100% correct – test protocol was 100% incompetent!

GrahamS

Pilot was 100% correct – test protocol was 100% incompetent!

Explain (or refer to meme above ^^)

convert

Easiest way to explain – what do you think would have happened to the aircraft’s position in relation to a specfic point on the ground if the pilot had not fired up the engine as the car accelerated?

GrahamS

Well it would have moved backwards with the tarp, though probably at a slower speed than the tarp.

convert

though probably at a slower speed than the tarp.

Why so? (once you take the initial inertia out of the equation).

alex222
    Free Member

what if a delorean was on a treadmill that was doing 88mph?

Do we know if the flux capacitor drives the wheels or generates thrust?

gwaelod
    Free Member

the new aircraft carriers…can’t they be fitted with with conveyor belts instead of catapults

tracknicko
    Free Member

well the speedo was linked to the wheels in the delorean… so that would suggest maybe wheel speed/revs was enough?

ahhh but then in like BTTF 3 it flies…

shame.

alex222
    Free Member

well the speedo was linked to the wheels in the delorean… so that would suggest maybe wheel speed/revs was enough?

Are you sure?

ahhh but then in like BTTF 3 it flies…

shame

Doesn’t it fly at the end of the first film – though admittedly this is when it has returned to the present from the future (that is to say once it had the hovering wheels upgrade)

GrahamS

Why so? (once you take the initial inertia out of the equation).

Tarp Direction: <—-

Forces acting <—- are pulling the plane by the base of its wheels. Wheels can spin freely.

Forces resisting this, acting only on the plane, are inertia (as you said) plus I would suppose some slight drag from wind resistance, increasing with speed.

Forces <— are obviously far greater than forces –>, but forces -> are only acting on the plane, so it has less total force acting in <- than the tarp and is free to spin its wheels.

Still don’t see how this helps your argument.

tracknicko
    Free Member

yeh im sure its wheel speed based. speedo drive goes the centre of the hub.

shame tho, the flying has wrecked it.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 82 total)

The topic ‘plane on a conveyerbelt’ is closed to new replies.