Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Places to stay in the North East (alnwick, etc)
  • ourmaninthenorth

Mrs North and I fancy a weekend up in the North East (nort of Newcastle) this weekend.

Got any accomodation recommendations?

(I prefer cheap, she prefers 5 star luxury. I'm paying so obviously she gets to choose… 😉 )

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Self -catering? http://www.newtoncottages.co.uk/index.cfm

Great part of the world! One of my favourite places (apart from Seahouses, which is a sh1thole)

l45key
    Free Member

These are very nice, don't know about availability at short notice.

Coastal Retreats

uplink
    Free Member
    mrsflash
    Free Member
    TooTall
    Free Member

Wooler is often overlooked – I love it up there and there are a couple of interesting hotels etc in town – and great pubs. Rothbury is a lovely small place West of Alnwick with nice rides & walks.
    Most anywhere on the coast is great, but Seahouses is a bit grim really.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

TooTall, Wooler is a fine spot! Sadly, however, the Tankerville Arms has gone a little downhill of late. Shame, used to be so great!

l45key
    Free Member

Mega brownie points for this place…Doxford Hall

Just recently opened, stopped there myself a couple of weeks ago.

Very nice!

ourmaninthenorth

Cheers, both. I'll have a look.

Given it's probably only a night or two, I reckon we're more likely to go for B&B somewhere.

I too love the North East, and have a massive craving to get up to that coast and let the wind refresh me.

EDIT: er, sorry to all other posters, only the first two responses were showing. Let me have a look, and I'll come back..!

ourmaninthenorth

Yes, Doxford Hall does look nice – even via Laterooms, it's £130 a night (as is the White Swan in Alnwick, which I suspect is now trading as the hotel to the starts of Harry Potter).

mrsf – Slaley Hall looks nice, though I don't know if herself would rather be closer to the coast.

And this was supposed to be a cheap break..!

warton
    Free Member

check out the tankerville arms in Eglingham (Not wooler!) Great little pub, with lovely rooms and B&B, 20 mins from wooler, 30 mins from Alnmouth…
    the Tankerville Arms

ourmaninthenorth

warton – like the look of that very much! I'll call them. Thanks!

stever
    Free Member

These folk are great…
    http://northumberlandbikebreaks.com/

manitou
    Free Member

I'd say my in-laws….. but they'd drive you mad!

ourmaninthenorth

stever – that looks v interesting, certainly for me (Mrs North isn't much of a cyclist).

manitou – if any of Mrs North's ancestors were still alive, we'd try them, but they scattered themselves to the four corners of the globe. It's where she gets her wanderlust from..!

gusamc
    Free Member

http://www.redlionalnmouth.com/accomm.html

recommended, best brekkie for ages, gf loved it (I though it was nearly worth it and I'm a £20 a night bloke…..), cracking little village, nice predinner stroll, walk up town to bridge, l, down beside river, along beach, along golf course, up town din dins …, various nice pubs and small bistro (standing outside, facing away, turn R on lhs of road, not far – booking recommended)

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Places to stay in the North East (alnwick, etc)’ is closed to new replies.